28 - Reunion

Artur had not seen his death row friends in the last year. He tried to move on with his life and leave the painful memories behind. Occasionally, he felt guilty about it, and his thoughts drifted to others. Were they in need of any help? How were they doing? What if they were inches away from suicide?

All these worries were resolved in a multitude of awkward and short phone calls and texts. Artur offered to meet up at least once with each of them. They always found excuses not to. He understood them. When they offered to meet in turn, out of obligation no doubt, and he also gave nothing but excuses. As much as they meant to him, he could not fathom seeing them again and opening his old wounds.

However, before he could blink an eye, the first anniversary of the invasion arrived. It was the day to remember the dead and celebrate those who survived. Artur wished to do so privately, but his wish could not be granted: the Elder Patriarch of Libra personally asked him to participate in the memorial service at Elpida Temple. It was unthinkable to say no to such an invitation.

Artur lost all his brothers and sisters in childhood, so it was not his first visit to Elpida Temple. Despite many bitter memories associated with the place, Artur did not hate it. This ancient structure predated even the cathedral and seemingly accumulated all the wisdom and compassion of the human race. When he walked inside and looked up at the mile-tall atrium, Artur once again felt that the strength of his soul was infinite. Any suffering the event would inflict on him would not break him.

Today, the atrium was full of people. Each arch on each floor had dozens of faces looking down on him and the empty stage. Artur received some greetings and pats on the shoulders and did his best to be polite. He was hardly aware of what he was doing as he made his way to the seat in the first row.

There, he saw his friends.

Sonya had her hair dyed violet. Tom had a short beard and almost looked like an adult. Dan was unchanged, aside from his eyes: deep and tired. Their faces were like stone. They did not say a word to each other. They quietly acknowledged each other's presence and prepared to tough the sermon out through the end.

When it was over, Artur could not recall much from it. It all went by in a painful blur. He vaguely remembered getting called on stage along with the rest. There was applause and a moment of silence. Speeches. Many speeches. Lots of tears. His old wounds had been opened anew, like he feared.

He now wanted to leave and get a drink. However, he could not pass on the once-a-year opportunity to see his perished friends.

In a dreamy state, Artur and his living friends boarded a levitating platform and went to the upper levels of the temple. Once they arrived, they passed through a series of arches, each darker than the one before, until they reached Aeon Veil – a Portion of Vida wall with the name of every person who had ever lived in Libra carved into it. Today, Elpida Temple was docked against the Veil and made the stars above each name shine.

Artur and his friends put their hands on the cold surface of the Veil and looked at their dim reflections. Artur duly acknowledged that he was still a head taller than the rest. He caught Sonya's glance, but she quickly retracted it.

Nothing happened for the longest time. Perhaps, the rumors were true? Did Aeon take the magic of the Veil from them, just like he powered off the Shield? He almost wanted it to be true. He did not want to deepen his wounds.

However, before he could think about leaving, he saw his reflections dissolving into a white mist. Artur's heart shrank.

Out of the mist beyond the mirror, the shadows began coming to them. They were vague at first, but they soon became distinguishable and recognizable. Artur searched for the tallest figure.