11 - Bastions

Sergey stood on the Day Deck and felt sick. After leaving the rookies at Dalta Bastion, he and other guardians were running on top of the Wall toward Filsuf Bastion when the demise of Gatehouse Area transfixed them. He grabbed his head and observed the carnage with mad eyes. The cloud of dust grew over the dark city like a newborn monster.

"Did I order you to stop?!" bellowed Wall Commander. "ON THE MOVE!!!"

Sergey stood still. The Wall Commander blocked the view of the city from him.

"I see the orders aren't penetrating your skull fast enough," the Wall Commander said in a quiet rage. "Do you need an extra hole in it? I promise you, Sage, the only way you'll get off this Wall is if I throw you off it."

Sergey moved. He ran and kept his eyes on the cloud of dust that now reached the Sky and folded like a mushroom. All he could think of was Dan. His son was as good as dead because of a stupid prank! The dark emptiness spawned in his soul, twisted his feelings, and shook his loyalties, oaths, and reasoning. He fought the urge to disregard orders, run to the city alone, and find Dan's body. Maybe, he could still revive him. Maybe Dan was still alive, injured, and needed his help.

Sergey was carried by the stream of guardians inside the darkness of Filsuf Bastion. The change of scenery allowed him to come to his senses. Engulfed by a sudden burst of energy, he pushed guardians aside to get ahead.

The news about the bombing spread through the halls like wildfire. Shock, fear, anger, and dismay consumed everyone. Sergey could spot residents of Gatehouse Area right away: some were in denial, some cried, some stared into nothing, some screamed. A few, like Sergey, were eager to get down on the street and were held back by their friends, superiors, and sense of duty. Everyone's misery rapidly evolved into a thirst for the Lepers' blood.

Sergey entered the officers' HQ. Several more people came in behind him, but he paid them no mind. Suddenly, a violent fight erupted down on the streets. Orange and red lights streamed through the embrasures facing the city. Sergey rushed to the opening to see what was going on.

A hurricane of bullets and explosions lit up the cloud of dust from the inside like a thunderstorm. Quickly, the individual flashes merged into a wall of fire – the jagged frontline. All sounds united in a roar of war, ripping apart the young below. The battle for their city had begun.

The scene was so dreadful that Sergey could not passively gawk at it. He moved away from the embrasure and looked at the room full of contemplative officers. The door shut and cut off a cacophony of the guardians' voices in the hall.

"We have orders from Central Command!" the Wall Commander screamed over the battle. "We're to mobilize everyone, stay on the Wall, retake all the bastions, and shut the Gates. What's the update?"

"We issued a Call for Contribution to anyone who had any experience on the Wall," said a woman loudly. "We have a good turnout. Our numbers doubled and keep going up. Most are retired, but we need all the help we can get. Rookies are holding the North bastions: Nebo and Dalta. Old-timers are consolidated at East and West: Filsuf and Lux. Lepers are still holding the South: Yuki, Ithar, and the Gates. They tried to advance, but we smothered them. No progress since."

"I got a status on potential Pax Guard reinforcement a few minutes ago," said a man. "Elpida Fortress likely went down in the blast. Terra and Laoshi are still gearing up. Their ETA is thirty minutes, or, I quote, "potentially more." They were caught with their pants down."

"If we survive today, I'll have their fucking heads," said the woman.

"Indeed," said the man. "But even if they eventually get ready, they're ordered to hold the Pyramid and secure the last line of defense. For now, we're on our own."