33 - Adoption

Sonya was on the cramped elevator going up. Her company was diverse. By her side were her husband, Artur, and her two trusted witnesses - Tom and Dan. In front of her were the two current caretakers of her future son - Valentina Stern and the Patriarch of Libra Custos Liber.

She was not often so close to the city's leader, and she felt uncomfortable. That came on top of being crammed and getting sworn into parenting duties within ten minutes.

She looked at her watch. 6.15 a.m. They were on time. The fact that everything went according to schedule gave her sergeant's nature a little reassurance.

Although, to think of it, with the Patriarch, they would be on time any time.

"Nervous?" whispered Tom.

Sonya wanted to say something, but she got scared that vomit would come out instead of words.

"It's a huge responsibility, bro," whispered Artur. "Of course, we're nervous."

"Ah, don't worry," Tom said quietly. "It can't be worse than your botched marriage proposal. I mean, you made Stoneface Sonya cry!"

Sonya's anger pushed vomit down.

"For the last time, jackass, I cried because I was happy!" she hissed.

"And Sonya is back online, ladies and gentlemen," announced Tom. "Seriously, guys, you'll be fine; stop freaking out. Just keep your—"

"Can I punch you?" suggested Sonya. "It'd make me feel better."

Custos and Valentina turned and looked at Sonya expressively.

Elevator. Sonya was trying to argue in private... on an elevator.

"Not... that I'm going to resort to violence ever in my... me dealing with Alexander!" said Sonya.

"It's a running army joke," Dan plugged in. "I heard it through boot camps and on the Wall many times."

"Sonya never acted on it," added Tom. "I can attest to that."

Custos and Valentina looked at each other, then straight ahead. The silence was so heavy that Sonya wondered how the elevator kept lifting it. She searched her head for something else to say in her defense.

"Dan," said Custos, "Until recently, your dad held the title for the best practical joke against me. Could you please tell him that it's no longer the case?"

"He would be devastated," scoffed Dan. "What happened?"

"I was scheduled for a mandatory seminar," said Custos. "Healthy diet for children."

Sonya remembered the incident with Alexander's cancerous candy and ill-timed activation of his health monitor. Her face got hot.

"You'd think my post and status would give me some leniency, but alas," said Custos. "I had to show up to a class full of penalized parents. Caused quite a riot when I did. I spent four hours going through a detailed lecture about nutrition and diet. Then I was thoroughly tested by the people I suspected were my long-lost grandnephews."

Custos turned to Sonya. Amazingly, he smiled.

"I often get too full of myself," said Custos. "It's good to get humbled once in a while. So thank you."

"And on my end," said Valentina, who surely also went through the same seminar, "You two can go fuck yourselves."

The elevator arrived at its destination much faster, carrying a lighter mood. The group went out and turned right. They soon entered a lobby with many old ornaments and sculptures. The room's centerpiece was a massive round door, guarded by a whole unit of white-clad Vida Guard in a mobile trench.