23 - Dark Souls

Sonya, Artur, Tom, and Dan, all dressed in gray prison uniforms and chained to a steel table before them, were sitting on uncomfortable steel chairs in a small room with concrete walls, a single greenish lamp, and steel blast-proof doors. The empty chair on the opposite side of the table was expecting Rin Matano, their lawyer.

Sonya did not speak. Her friends remained silent too. They were thin and pale, their tired eyes looking into space.

"Boy, are we in shit," said Tom.

They all produced quiet scoffs.

"The deposition we had haunted me every night," said Artur. "It only got worse every night."

"How can it get any worse?" asked Sonya, holding the butterflies in her stomach on a tight leash. "I'd rather have Symon represent me. He'd make it quick!"

"A joke!" Tom exclaimed. "I knew you were hiding a sense of humor from us."

"Anyone else tried requesting a better lawyer?" asked Dan.

"Hell yeah!" said Sonya. "The response is always the same – nobody else wants you."

"Can Tom represent us?" asked Dan. "You told us you know the law somewhat."

"I can't," answered Tom. "I'm a juvenile; I cannot represent myself in a trial. Only you can, Dan."

"Rin it is," said Dan.

The torturous silence came back. Sonya was thinking over their situation, trying to find hope where there was none. However, she could not have the troops so mopey going into battle.

"Well, if we all get convicted," said Sonya, "There's a silver lining."

All three looked at her as if she had just announced her run for the post of the Matriarch.

"And what's that?" asked Tom.

"Dan's abysmal fashion taste will die with him."

"Ah, fuck you!" exclaimed Dan as others laughed. "The kid made it fine, didn't he?"

"Also, he won't spread it to his children!" doubled down Sonya.

"I'll have five lame-dressed brats just to annoy you," Dan, smiling, pointed his finger at Sonya, who was now pretending to be an arrogant fashion critic, observing his gray robes with disgust.

"You're a lot more fun off duty, Sergeant," said Artur and winked at Sonya.

The butterflies in her stomach started a riot again, her character broke, and her face got hot. Sonya reprimanded herself.

Damn you, Sonya! Like a little girl, honestly!

Dan took note of her reaction and suppressed a smile. Tom was burning to say something - he had that look on his face. However, before he could dive into it, the door to the room opened, and a person walked in.

It was Rin Matano, in all her glory, neatly dressed, as before, in all black and a red shirt with the collar sticking out. She walked confidently around the table and sat down in the empty chair.

"Hello," she said firmly. "This is it. The trial is tomorrow."

Sonya and her friends said nothing. They looked at her with defeated eyes. The reality of their upcoming ordeal hit them hard. It hit Sonya hard, too, although she did not show it.

"I'm here to give you your last briefings," said Rin, unfazed by the absence of greetings. "Please, kindly read the documents."

With a gesture, she projected four bluish holographic screens with text. They started reading.