Chapter 22

Spotty memories danced like dreams through Liana's waking vision. As quickly as they appeared, they disappeared, like specters that had never been meant to be seen at all.

The room she found herself in was familiar. In a strange turn of events, Liana found that Conner's bedroom gave her a sense of security. If she allowed herself, she might start to see it as homey. If not for her situation, she might already find it cozy.

A brief knock sounded in Liana's ears. Conner didn't wait for her to allow entrance.

The door opened.

Conner poked his head inside the room. "You're up."

Liana gave a single nod, still groggy from... something.

"What happened?" she asked.

She remembered dancing, playing her petty little game. She remembered an ache in her chest. Beyond that, Liana drew a blank. Kat had been by her side at the feast, and then Liana had woken up in Conner's bed. Since she didn't drink alcohol, she couldn't have done anything too crazy. Right?

Conner slipped into the room, shutting the door behind himself. "You don't remember?"

"I think... did I pass out?" Liana tried to get her elbow beneath her, to push up to a better position for a talk.

As usual, Conner moved faster than Liana could process. He arrived at the side of the bed before she had a chance to sit up, his large hand falling to her shoulder. "Don't move yet. Just in case."

Though it was probably overkill, Liana did as Conner asked. Since her arrival on the res, she'd had nothing but misfortunes. If staying still would make Conner feel better, she would do it. He seemed stressed out enough without her adding to the dilemma.

"So, what happened?" Liana asked again. There had been no warning. Just that tight ball of anger in her chest. Next thing she knew, she woke up in Conner's bed.

A sigh fell from Conner's lips as his fingers raised to tenderly remove a strand of hair from Liana's face. "You and I need to talk, Liana."

If Conner's tone said anything about the conversation to come, he meant business. Liana had never heard him use that tone with her. Conner reserved such authoritative speeches for the other wolves.

Strange, how she had already found it within her to accept them as both men and wolves.

"What do you mean?" Liana wrapped her hands around Conner's wrist, hoping he would look at her and not past her.

"I thought we had gotten past this point, given our earlier conversation, but..." Conner shook his head.

"What point?"

"The point where you refuse to allow yourself to bond with me." Conner finally made eye contact with her and Liana almost lost the ability to breathe.

Tears swam in his eyes like waves upon a stormy shore, and in the depths of his gaze she saw nothing but agony.

"Conner, what's going on?"

Conner inhaled, then exhaled, somehow managing to steady the rocky emotions in his eyes. "You're refusing to allow the bond between us to grow. Mentally, you still want to leave."

He had hit the nail on the head, but Liana didn't understand how he knew. She had promised him to give it a shot, but until he could convince her dad to allow it, Liana couldn't give her all. If she gave her all, she would fall head over heels in a matter of moments.

"I can't stay if my father disapproves," Liana reminded Conner quietly.

Conner brushed his knuckles over her cheek. "I understand that, but I told you that I would find a way. I need you to open up and accept the bond logically."