Chapter 4

"I've been what?!"

Liana stared at the men outside her door. Large men in suits and ties. With papers. She timidly reached out to retrieve the papers from their hands. She could hardly focus at this point.

"Claimed," the larger of the two men repeated. "According to article one, sub-section B of the National Mating Laws."

One page at a time, Liana flipped through the contents. Hardly any of it made sense. She shook her head. "Do I need a lawyer?"

"If you think so, ma'am." The second man nodded in understanding. "We do understand not wanting to comply, but it's the law. We're going to have to ask you to come with us."

"This is ridiculous." Liana shook her head and handed the stack back to them. "I can't just waltz off with you! I have a job. Family. Friends. Things to pack. What am I supposed to do? Come in this?" She tugged gently at the oversized t-shirt she wore on top of her short shorts. Not exactly the most flattering outfit she owned.

The first man shook his head. "Sorry, ma'am. We have our orders. Someone will be sent back to get your things and send them to you."

Right. Because this all made so much sense. Liana understood now why people hated the Mating Laws. Laws that stated any unattached female above the age of sixteen could be claimed and mated by a requesting shifter. No one really knew how the shifters knew who the unattached females were, at least not anyone who would tell her.

What a predicament. She couldn't leave Melinda short staffed. She couldn't leave her parents without a word. What would they think? Her father never had liked the idea of shifters. How was she supposed to tell him one of them had claimed her? He would find a way to get her out of it.

Liana breathed a little easier at that thought. Her father wouldn't let her go without a fight. "Can I call my parents?" she asked the men softly.

"Once we get you back to the offices, they'll let you have a few phone calls." The man took a step back and motioned to her. "Please."

Liana sighed. "Let me get my shoes."

"No time for that, I'm afraid." The second man reached out to grab her arm.

Liana smacked at his hand, but it was no use. She had the forethought to slide her feet into the ratty old flip flops she wore around the house before he dragged her out the door and toward the black SUV. Typical government. No concern for another human being's feelings. Whatever.

They loaded her in without too much hassle. Liana thought she heard the doors click as though they locked her in. Oh, brother. She was sure someone before her tried to run, but that didn't mean they had to treat her like a criminal. She didn't do anything. She didn't even know how this shifter got her name.

The ride was spent in silence. Surprise, surprise. These two, whoever they were, had the hospitality of a brick wall. Even if she knew what questions to ask, Liana didn't think they would answer them.

She had only been into the Wolf Domestic Affairs offices one other time. The day of her sixteenth birthday, when she was required by law to register. Her father moped that entire afternoon, and what was celebrated in some households became a funeral dirge for hers. According to her father, no sane human would want their daughter married to a monster.

Instead of parking at the curb and leading her through the front doors, the SUV pulled through a gate and parked in the underground garage.

Liana barely had time to adjust to her new surroundings before the taller officer opened the passenger door.

"Come with us, ma'am."

She didn't see that she had much choice. They flanked her like she might make a break for it, and under different circumstances she might have, but they didn't particularly scare her. They asked nicely and aside from their dragging her to the car, they hadn't roughed her up any. Shouldn't she trust the men who kept the government running and the citizens safe?