Chapter 34

Conner took up the same spot that he had claimed the first night of Liana's visit home. It might be good, for her to spend time with her parents. But it frustrated him that he couldn't touch her.

And it had only been two days.

He hadn't exactly thought through all the ramifications of convincing her father to like him. Conner didn't know how long it would take, and he and his wolf weren't well-known for their patience. He couldn't stand back and do nothing, but he also knew the Liana's father had no intention of allowing him in the door.

Calling the police was out of the question. Liana's father would be arrested, since Conner had done everything correctly—in the eyes of the law—to claim Liana. Conner had no intention of forcing Liana back to the res.

So he stood guard, as close as he could get to the woman he loved.

Days passed, and nothing changed. Each morning, Conner retreated to run and then rest. Each evening, he returned to his post and kept his eyes on his mate. Each evening, the bond spoke to him of her sadness and impatience.

Conner understood. He longed to hold her in his arms as badly as she longed to break free from her childhood home.

A month passed, and for the first time Liana's father seemed to take note of Conner's presence. His antagonizing shooing did little to dissuade Conner.

He had promised Liana that he would make her father accept them. For the sake of their future relationship, Conner had made up his mind to do just that.

As Liana healed, the bond grew stronger, and Conner could make out more of her emotions. She began to look for him every evening, staring out her window like a lovelorn widow. Conner didn't like making her feel that way, but he couldn't rush things. Sneaking around behind her father's back would only put fuel in the fire of his hatred.

Thus, the cycle continued.

A woman at the end of the street found it in her to bring Conner late-night snacks on occasion. Though human, it seemed that she had a soft spot for shifters. Conner accepted with all the grace he had learned as Crescent Alpha.

On the eve of the sixty-second day, a local policeman stopped his patrol when he saw Conner standing on the sidewalk. Conner merely explained that he was watching over his mate. The policeman didn't have much heart to arrest him after that. It might have had something to do with Conner's exposed tribal tattoo. No human liked to cross a shifter.

Somewhere, Liana found paper and markers in her home. She began to scribble messages, holding them up to the window to show him. She could have spoken and Conner would have heard her, but he had no clue how closely her parents were watching her. Conner replied via their bond.

And yet it wasn't enough. This distance between them wore on Conner's heart like a flame cutting a rope. Much more and he would go insane.

Yet, Conner did his best to remain calm.

It was never easy, not with his wolf pushing to take back his mate like a primal creature. They hadn't smelled Liana's scent in weeks, and because of that Conner barely kept him in check.

Day 76 came. Conner took up his position under the streetlamp. But he did not expect his father-in-law to storm out of the front door.

"I don't care what you're doing here, but it won't work. You need to leave before I have you arrested for stalking and trespassing."

Conner couldn't even manage a sarcastic smile. "I am not on your lawn, therefore I am not trespassing. As for stalking... I'm not doing that, either."

"Liana doesn't want you here, which means you're stalking her against her will."