Chapter Four: Family - Mother, Mother

The next day I walk into lunch with Erika who asked me to give her a full-blown makeover

The next day I walk into lunch with Erika who asked me to give her a full-blown makeover. I of course obliged, I smile happily seeing her not afraid or in pain for once. I wave bye to her before I go to my normal lunch table and sit next to my friend Boyd. "Hey," I say softly my voice exposing how tired I am. "Hey Nyxie, what are you doing back at school so soon? I mean shoot they gave you a week off." Boyd tells me and I shake my head gently before resting against his arm. He in turn wraps a protective arm around my waist. This has become a ritual of comfort for the two of us ever since we were little. "I can't take the whole week off from school. This is the only time I get to see my best friends and if I have to get gawked at like I am a ticking time bomb for that to happen, then I can deal with that." I tell him honestly. Erika nods to me that she is ready to leave I sigh softly and give Boyd a hug. "I got to go I'm meeting with the guys from the funeral home to set up for my dad," I say and he nods his head gently. "Call me if you need me." He says and I nod my head gently before meeting up with Erica who grabs my hand gently. "You alright?" She asks me. Despite the change, she was still sweet as a peach to me. I nod my head gently, "Yeah, just worrying about everyone and everything." I tell her she squeezes my hand gently, "Aww mama wolf always worrying about her cubs." She says teasingly before we get into Derek's car. It used to be a joke we made all the time when we were growing up. Who would have thought that there would be truth behind it?

I was sitting in the subway car working on homework and trying to calculate the cheapest way to do my father's funeral when suddenly I felt someone walk in. "Hi, Derek," I mumble softly before looking up. "What are you still doing here, and still doing up?" He asks walking towards me. I look at him confused before I look at my phone. It was nearly two in the morning. "Fuck... I really can't pull an all-nighter." I whimper dropping my head onto the table in front of me. I feel Derek move closer to me and wrap an arm around my shoulders gently as tears dot my eyes. "Hey, Nyx. This stuff can wait until tomorrow." He says in a gentle tone and I shake my head. "No no no it can't. The funeral people need a plan by ten am." I say my heart pounding in my chest. Derek pulls me to my feet and he holds my hands gently. "Nyx calm down." He says softly his eyes flashing bright red. I feel my eyes shift as well and he takes a step back surprised. "What the hell." He says and I tilt my head to the side. "What's wrong Derek?" I ask him worriedly. "Your eyes... they are purple." He tells me hand instinctively going to my eyes. "Wh-What does that mean Derek?" I ask him worriedly. He sighs softly. "Tomorrow we are going to go see Deaton about it alright?" He tells me and I nod my head gently. "I better get home I don't need the Sheriff worrying about me," I tell him and he nods his head. "Text me when you get there." He tells me and I nod my head before leaving.

Word Count: 637