The Truth

Magic what did that have to do with anything. Before I could ask Diana to elaborate Matthew decided to but in. "Diana perhaps I should explain I have know Anthea longer." It was true, Diana might be my best friend but I had only known her a year, Matthew on the other hand I had known for at least two and we had always had a strong professional relationship.

"Anthea, I have to ask you to have an open mind." I nodded hoping to finally get some answers. "Once the world was full of wonders, but it belongs to the humans now. We, creatures, have all but disappeared. Demons, witches and vampires live among you going about our daily lives, hiding in plain site right under your noses." Putting all the dots into place I suddenly realised. "When you say our, do you mean?" My reaction was much to witness as I was having quite the hard time processing all of it.

Matthew confirmed my suspicions with the slight nod of his head and that's when I started pointing fingers. "So your a vampire." Again he nodded unsurprised by my guess, I always liked to think he knew I was smart. "And Diana." She spoke with a guilty tone to her voice. "I'm a witch."

As soon as the words left Diana's mouth the door opened and Miriam and Marcus came walking in, both with coffee in hand. "Hi Thea. Sorry we're late Matthew, we didn't think we would take this long, but here we are." Marcus' words drifted off as I'm guessing he felt the shift in atmosphere.

"Marcus, Miriam she knows." Miriam's face suddenly turned cold. "Know's, Matthew we promised." Matthew was quick to interrupt. "I know but circumstances change." It was Marcus who spoke next. "And what's changed exactly?" I quickly spoke up to. "Yeah I'm with Marcus as far as I'm concerned, there's no reason that you would need to tell me." Diana and Matthew bother shared a knowing look.

It was Diana who decided to speak for the both of them. "You know last week when you came with me to the Bodleian to help get the books for me whilst I started setting up my stuff." I nodded as confirmation. "One of the books, Ashmole 782, it was enchanted and I din't know until after we saw one another that no one other than you has ever been able to call up the manuscript."

Now I was confused, first it was vampires, demons and witches, which was hard enough to rap my head around in the first place but now there's some how a long lost magical book. What? "So what are you trying to say that I'm the only person to have ever called it up." Matthews face seemed troubled as he spoke. "Yes, although we don't know why." He stood up and walked over to one of the computers.

"At first I had thought it was Diana who had recovered the book, which would have made sense because of her magic, but know, Anthea there must be a reason why you were able call up the book." I spoke more answers occupying my mind. "If all I did was call up a book then why are you so worried." Matthew sighed and came walking over to me.

He placed his hands on my arms clearly sensing my worries. "Creatures have been searching for this particular book for centuries and only now has a human summoned it. I'm worried you'll be made a target." I was somehow able to become calm thanks to Matthews touch, but Miriam interrupted the nice feeling. "If no one knows it was Anne then we have nothing to worry about."

Looking around the room I found both Marcus and Matthew nodding their heads in agreement. "Miriam is right as long as it doesn't leave this room no one should have reason to suspect that it was Anthea who found the book." This relaxed me even more knowing I was safe from an onslaught of creatures.

"We might have a problem." It was Diana. "What problem Di?" I asked quietly. "I may have mentioned that you were the one to get all the books that day to Gillian." I shrugged my shoulders in response. "Why would that be a prob...Oh, please don't tell me she's also a creature." Diana's response was short. "A witch." Thankfully Marcus tried to help, but sadly it very little to. "But who's she going to tell?"

Diana's face said it all. "Peter Nocks was at her house this morning." I walked to her side. "Who's Peter Nocks?" It was Matthew who answered for Diana. "He's a powerful witch who holds a seat on the congregation." My eyebrows came together as confusion once again filled me. "What's the congregation?" Miriam was leaning over one of the many desks when she answered. "It's the creature equivalent of an all powerful government." Creatures have a government, I guess it's true what they say, you learn something new everyday.

"So what does that mean if Gillian has told Nocks. Am I safe or not?" Matthews face contorted in frustration due to the situation I had unknowingly placed him and everyone else in. "We can't be sure at the current moment. We know he's still in Oxford and It will take at least a day until he makes it to the congregation. So for now your safe, but humans aren't even allowed to know of our existence in the first place."

Diana who still stood at my side took my hand in hers. "So what do we do to keep it that way?" She spoke with an air of confidence, now this is the Diana Bishop I know and love. "For now nothing. We can not afford Nocks becoming aware of our knowledge, if he were to find out he would most likely go running to the congregation." Matthew started pulling his phone out of his pocket and started typing.

Marcus then spoke. "What are you doing?" Without looking up from the phone he Replied. "I'm messaging Baldwin to keep an eye out for Nocks." I let go of my hand that still held Diana's and ran to Matthew's side. "Who's Baldwin?" After a few moments of silence Miriam finally relived it. "He's Matthews brother who also has a seat on the congregation and is just as likely to reveal this to the other members." As she spoke the anger and maybe even fear in her voice increased.

"He can't reveal something he doesn't know. This should buy us some time until know for sure wether Nocks knows about Anthea or not." "So what do we do do until then?" It was Diana she spoke with a sudden rush to her words. "Go on as normal, that's all we can do to not draw suspicion to ourselves and especially Anthea." Everyone agreed and that was when me and Diana had decided to leave.

We walking to Diana's rooms when she decided to start up a conversation. "So you work with Matthew huh." I gave her look that said 'so what'. "I'm just say that he seems to rally care about you. Wants to make sure you safe." I gave an awkward chuckle. "He'd do the exact same for Miriam or Marcus, even you." She smiled and turned her head down slightly. "I still think it's sweet." She chuckled at her own words.

"It's not like that, we've just know each other for quite a while. Anyway we've just learnt that all our lives could be at stake and that's what you want to talk about." I gave a playful scoff at the end. "Well Matthew did say not to mention anything so I won't." I smiled as well enjoying the playful tone she had in her voice. "So are you actually a which?" We both burst into laughter. "Do you have a broom or hat. Oh oh maybe a house possibly raven claw." We both continued to walk in fits of laughter enjoy the moment as it was, two friends enjoying an afternoon walk.

--------------- 

Hope you enjoyed, leave a comment on what you thought.