Photos

In the back of my head I heard the blaring alarm of a phone and when I started to come to from a peaceful sleep I felt a vibration on my leg. I pulled out my phone and looked down at the caller ID, Diana. Matthew looked over my shoulder and once he saw that it was Diana he stood me following not long after.

I slid the screen and heard Diana's unhinged voice coming through from her end. "Anne, I know I should have waited till the morning, but I uh, Peter Knox just came to my rooms." I quickly responded. "What? Are you ok?" Her voice came back. "Yeah I'm fine, but he knows, he knows it was you Anne." 'Oh great' I thought.

Looking over at Matthew I saw the fear beneath his eye's, why he was worried I didn't know I mean it's me who Knox will come for. I Focussed back on the call. "Ok, me and Matthew will get back to Oxford and we'll figure something out then ok, you just get to bed." She agreed and then hung up the phone.

Before I could have a moment to breath Matthew already had me at his side and we both walked out the door and to his car. I looked out the window watching as the fields turned into houses and then into the streets of Oxford. It was late so I just told Matthew to drop me off at my apartment.

As we pulled up outside I took my seatbelt off and was about to leave but was stopped as Matthew's hand graced mine. "Be safe." The words were simple, but nice to hear. I was comforted I had friends I could trust in this. I slid out the car and before closing the door I bent down. "I will be." Seeing the smile on his face, I then made my way up to my apartment.

Once my head hit the pillow I fell asleep to the thoughts flooding through my head. What does Knox want with the book? Why was I the only one who could bring it up and why did Matthew take me to his house?

...

The next morning I was ready and the door making my way to Diana's rooms so we could speak about last night. I walked up the stairs until I found her room number and walked on in as the door was open. "Di." I shouted hoping she was still home. "Hey Anne, there's some toast on the side if you want it. I'm just on the phone to Sarah and Em." I shouted back ok and made my way into the kitchen.

I was chewing on the toast when Diana came in, still on the phone to her aunts. I had only met them once when Diana practically dragged me to America so she didn't have to be alone. I could just about here Sarah shout for Diana to put me on the phone and so she passed it over.

"Hi sweet heart are you alright?" I smiled at the concern in her voice. "Yes Sarah I'm fine Matthew and Di are making sure of it." I heard a sigh of relief from both her and Em. "Well as long as your alright." Em spoke Interrupting Sarah before she could speak. "Please call us soon?" I chuckled at the both of them. "I will." I handed the phone back to Diana and after saying goodbye she hanged up the call.

Dina smelled at me. "They really care about you Anne." I nodded and stood up. "So are we going to the Bod or are we going to sit here all day." Diana got up as well and we made our way out of her rooms and to the library.

The walk was quite neither of having really anything to say to the other. Before we knew it were already at the doors of the Bodleian and made our way inside. It was the quietest I had ever seen the Library but seeing as I really came in here unless it was with Diana I wouldn't know any different.

Walking through the stack we saw Shawn collecting in some of the books on the tables. "Hey Shawn." Dian walked over to speak to Shawn and just stood and waited incase I was needed. I heard Diana say 'thanks' and Shawn walked off. "I told him you wanted the book out, so he's gone to get it." I nodded and it was silent for a moment before I heard a voice speak from behind me.

"We'll wait for it together then." I span around my rising to my throat at the mans unexpected words. "Who are you." The man stepped forward. "Ah we haven't met. I'm Peter Knox and you must be Anthea." I backed away from him as he was getting to close for comfort. "Stay the hell away from her Knox." Diana shouted from just over my shoulder.

Before Knox could say anything else Shawn came walking in. "Sorry guy's the books not there." His words trailed off as he noticed Knows standing just behind us. Trying to leave the situation me and Diana started walking to leave before Shawn's words stopped us. "What's going on?"

Me and Diana couldn't answer as Knox beet us to it. "Anthea why don't you ask him this time." I looked at Knox and saw a knowing, almost smug look on his face. I think Shawn could see how uncomfortable me and Diana felt as he walked past us and confronted Knox. "All of you get out." Knox didn't take kindly to his words as he reached out his hand and Shawn face contorted in pain.

I ran to him as he collapsed into my arms. "What did you do?" Knox looked down at me from where he stood and I could tell he was about to say something but before he could feel a draft building in the room but couldn't see any open windows. I glanced over at Diana seeing if she knew what was going on but as I saw her face fill with anger I could tell it was her doing.

The draft picked up into a breeze and then it felt like a gale force wind, I had to hold onto the table just so I wouldn't fly into anything. The wind grew even stronger and as it did I lost my grip on both the table and Shawn. My body went flying over the tables and Ito one of the book shelves and as it did I could feel the pain grown in back and my legs.

I couldn't register anything that wasn't the pain, until the winds died down and I fell onto my back once more. I could here voices and when I looked around I saw Matthew frantically bending down beside me, helping me lift my head up. "Anthea. Thea." His voice was filled with concern that made my heart flutter slightly.

I started lifting myself onto my shoulders. "Oh Anne I am so sorry I didn't have any control over it and-" As her tone became more frantic I decided to interrupt. "I'm fine Di, it's not your fault. You stopped Knox that's all that matters." Matthew helped lift me onto my feet but just as he was about to let go I started to fall as my legs felt numb. "Easy." Matthew said as he supported my weight with his. I noticed him look over at Diana as he spoke next. "I'll carry her to the car." And so we made our way outside.

We drove to my apartment as I just wanted to be back home after the day's events. Matthew still needlessly worrying about me insisted helping me up the stairs, but once it came to the last flight I told him that I was alright. I opened my door but found tat it got caught on something.

I forced my way inside and found a large yellow envelope on the ground. 'So that's what backed the door' I thought. As Diana and Matthew made their way inside I bent down to grab said envelope. Sitting beside Diana on the couch I ripped it open and pulled out it's contents.

At first I noticed they were just some road side pictures until I turned to the next ones in the pile and tears started to stream down my face. Matthew must've noticed as he beside me in less than a second and Diana's hand reached up to run my back.

In my hands were photos of an unconscious child and I knew the images would haunt my nightmares. It was Matthew who spoke. "Is that?" His voice was a whisper as he could see how delicate my demeanour had become. "It's Lina."