13. Welcome to the Club

Charlie's POV

I'd almost forgotten that Ryan wanted to hang out when he texted me.

Can I still come over?

I typed in my response.

Yeah.

I sent him my address and tried my best to make my room look decent. It's harder than it looks, trying to pick things up from the floor when you're on crutches.

My parents went to my Aunt Gen's third wedding today and won't be back until later, which meant that I'd be hanging out with Ryan alone.

This was weird.

I didn't know why Ryan wanted to hang out with me outside of school. Maybe I should just cancel and tell him I'm not home?

A text came through, telling me that Ryan was here.

The door's unlocked, come on through. I texted back, my nerves acting up.

I walked to the top of the staircase on my crutches as Ryan awkwardly opened the front door and closed it. He looked around before his eyes landed on me.

"Hi." He did an awkward wave.

"Hi." I replied.

He slowly ascended the staircase and followed me into my room.

"Where's Mrs and Mr Harrington?" He wondered, taking a look around my room.

"They went to my aunt's wedding." I responded.

I sat down on my bed, leaning my crutches down next to me.

"Why didn't you go?" What was this? An interrogation?

I gestured to my leg cast. "I'll catch the next one."

"So, why'd you want to hang out?" I asked as he took a seat at my desk.

"I wanted to ask you something." He began fidgeting with his fingers.

He sounded serious.

"Okay."

He took a deep breath then sighed.

"How did you know you were... that you were, you know."

I scrunched my nose, looking at him confused.

"That you were.... Gay?"

Oh. I did not see that question coming.

I let the question soak in for a moment before answering. "Well, I first realised when I was in the seventh grade. I knew I didn't like girls, only guys. I didn't tell anyone though."

"What about now? How do you feel about it?"

"Well, I'm glad I don't have to pretend anymore. Before I came out to my friends and family, I was always scared and paranoid. I had this big secret about myself that nobody knew. When I came out, I felt a lot lighter. Until I was outed to the entire school."

"Someone outed you?" He turned to look at me.

"Yeah. I didn't plan on ever coming out to everyone at school. I've seen enough movies and tv shows to know how that one goes."

"That sucks." He went back to fidgeting with his fingers.

"Why'd you want to know?" I asked.

He stayed silent for a moment before nervously saying. "I think I might be gay. Actually, I don't think I am, I know I am."

"How long have you known?"

"Not long."

"Am i the first person you've told?"

"Yeah. Well, technically Tom already knows, but he figured it out."

"I guess I should say, welcome to the club."

He laughed. "I can't believe I just came out to you."

I couldn't believe it either. Ryan Woodsen was gay?

"Can I ask you something?" I asked, turning to face him.

"Sure, go ahead."

"Why did you come out to me? Is it because I'm also gay?"

He stood from the chair at the desk and came to sit next to me on my bed.

"No, I mean, yes. But also because, I kind of like you. Like, like-like you."

Technically he had already told me that he liked me, I just assumed he meant as a friend.

"Really?" I couldn't help but smile.

"Yes, really."

I didn't know what to say. I've never had someone tell me they liked me before, it was an entirely new concept to me.

"Can you please not tell anyone though, I don't want anyone to know."

"I would never do that." I assured him. From experience, it sucks having someone out you, especially more so when you have no idea who spilled the beans.

We sat there in awkward silence. A hundred thoughts rushing through my mind as my heart raced inside of my chest.

I nervously picked at my nails.

"So, do you want to go out with me sometime?"