In The Heat Of The Morning

Narnia seemed lonely.

     Where the water was clear, and so obviously blue, and the world around them was so natural and gorgeous- something just didn't feel right. There was a reluctance in the air, a devilish concurrence that couldn't be ignored.

     The Pevensie's were deeply rooted to the core of Narnia, understanding every single thing that it was, and everything it was supposed to be. They knew that something was wrong. They knew that Narnia was lonely, and couldn't let it stay that way.

     In the attempt to find the Prince, and the camp that would be built within a few days, the siblings stayed upon the river where they had found their dwarf companion. Though it was beautiful, they couldn't afford to be distracted in their journey. Not when Trumpkin believed both the Kings and Queens of old and Aslan had abandoned the land. Of course, it wasn't the full story.

     They had never meant to leave.

     They never wanted to leave, either. It had all been a great misfortune to them. The golden age ended abruptly, and they could have done nothing to stop it.

     The boat docked at a stone beach, where they worked as a team to make sure their transport didn't leave them stranded. Trumpkin tied it off, attaching it to some long forgotten tree roots. As the others pulled it in to shore enough, Lucy was the first to explore. Although, there wasn't very much for them to explore at all.

     Whilst the youngest of the Pevensie's hadn't been searching for anything in particular, she found great sorrow in seeing the state her former home had ended up in. There was little life to be seen, despite the shrubbery. Nothing seemed to be alive anymore. Even the trees were quiet.

     There, along the shore, was a bear. It was minding its own business, scavenging for anything it could find. Food must have been in short supply for creatures as big as him.

When Lucy saw the bear, she called out to it, as she might have those few hundred years ago. "Hello, there."

It did not answer; that was enough for anyone to have walked away, but not Lucy. She was determined. Even when it stood upon its hind legs, expressing its power, she reassured it. "It's alright, we're friends."

As it lowered into all four paws, Trumpkin caught wind, and warned her. "Don't move, Your Majesty!"

With a swift movement, she looked to the dwarf, and back once more. The bear was running directly at her, and she couldn't stop it. Then, she ran.

"Stay away from her!" Susan threatened, priming her bow, and directing an arrow towards the chest of the animal. It was just unfortunate that Lucy fell, because otherwise, she might have gotten away.

"Shoot, Susan! Shoot!" Edmund cried, running to his elder sister.

The younger screamed as the bear rose onto its hind legs once more, and towered over the girl. She might have died if not for the arrow in it's heart. They all seemed to turn to Susan, instinctively, but found that she was yet to fire from her bow. The shot came from behind her, from Trumpkin, who stormed forwards to move the creature.

Confused, Susan looked down, despondently. "Why wouldn't he stop?"

"I suspect he was hungry." Said the dwarf, disregarding how the rest of them might have felt.

Peter and Edmund took Lucy away from the bear, and pointed their swords just in case. It had been a while since they faced this sort of threat, and clearly they were out of practice.

"Thanks." Lucy mentioned, in passing, to the dwarf who had saved her. He did not reply.

Edmund gulped, hating what was happening to his home. It didn't make any sense to him. Things were so good. They were so perfect. Why did it have to change? "He was wild." The realisation came quickly.