Chapter One

Hi everyone! Here is a little introduction to my story, so I apologize if it seems a little *discriptive.* I have so much planned for this story and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!

I breathe in the salty air, letting the breeze fill me with joy. “Dinah, now is the perfect time to launch the kite!” I say, looking down, to see my older sister sitting on the picnic blanket as we stand on the beautiful pebble beach that we have all to ourselves. My little eight-year-old sister, Ruby, stands in the shallow water digging up sea urchins.

“In a minute, Jane. Let me finish my lunch,” Dinah answers.

I call over Ruby, and we get out our purple kite we just bought, while we wait for Dinah.

My sisters and I live with our loving parents, in our flat, in the city of Cardiff, in Wales. While I love my family, I do not enjoy living in Cardiff; but the city life is what my parents prefer. In fact, the only travel they talk about is going to North America someday, to see bigger cities such as New York or Quebec City, always describing it as a place where dreams come true. Ironically, they are from small towns in Ireland. All I know about it is that they came to Wales when they knew that they were going to have Dinah. Dinah is nineteen, and is very smart. She works multiple jobs to pull together enough money to go to university in England, and become a doctor. Ruby is young, and my parents had her unexpectedly, but she is wonderful nonetheless. She is very kind, and loves reading. I am determined to protect Ruby, and to show her love and support, seeing how vulnerable she can be. That is why coming to the beach and getting away from the city like this is such a huge treat for all of us.

“Jane!” Ruby calls, “Are we going to fly the kite!? I could run to London and back in the time it’s taking you two!”

I laugh as we launch the kite into the billowing breeze. We splash and play on the beach, as the kite dances gracefully above us. I laugh and smile as the wind blows  through my auburn hair. There is no other perfect way to spend a peaceful afternoon.

* * *

The next morning, I am awoken by the sun shining through the window. I bury my face in my pillow. I want to sleep! Is that too much to ask!? I hop out of bed, and waddle tiredly to the corner where the kite we flew the day before was sitting. I brush my hand along the purple fabric, before pulling a knee-length navy blue dress out of my dresser. I tell Ruby, who is sleeping on the other side of the room, to wake up. I envy Dinah so much for having her own bedroom. It is no fun sharing one with an eight year old. Luckily, mother and father said I could have Dinah's room when she leaves for university.

"Ruby!" I snap, "It's time to get up!"

Ruby punches her pillow and hides under the covers, and I decide it's no use. She's always hard to wake in the morning.

After I am dressed, I brush my hair and tie the front back with a white ribbon. I put on a ruffled white pinafore over my dress- all the girls put white pinafore aprons over their school dresses so they will not get dirty. I lace up my ankle-high black boots and head downstairs, where I find mother making breakfast, and Dinah reading at the table.

"Good morning, Jane" mother greets, "I trust you slept well."

"It would have been better if I got to sleep in," I reply, "Ruby won't budge."

"Dinah, go wake your sister please," mother says, "and tell her that I'll have to drag her out of bed myself if she doesn't."

Dinah smiles, and heads upstairs to get Ruby.

"Set the table, please Jane." Mother tells me. I get some plates, and forks, as I see mother making eggs and toast.

"Has father already gone to work?" I ask.

"Yes," mother replies, "he said he needed to be there early."

This is unusual for father, he usually is at home to greet us before we leave for school. He must be quite busy today. After eating breakfast, I grab my hat and books, and I see a laughing Dinah walking behind Ruby as she trudges downstairs. Immediately I begin to giggle too. Ruby had her ribbon loosely knotted in her hair, that was sticking up everywhere and even had a rats nest.

"Oh, Ruby!" Mother exclaims, half chuckling, "be sure to fix your hair before you get to school."

We say our goodbyes to mother for the day, as we head out the door on our bustling street. Every morning, we walk a few blocks over to Adamsdown, where our school is. We live right next to Adamsdown, in Roath- just a couple of all of the different districts in Cardiff. We walked past the Adamsdown boarding school, where rich kids from all over the world go. I've always wondered what it was like to go to such a school. I would give almost anything just to get a peek inside. A few blocks later, we reach a square with separating roads. This is where Dinah splits from Ruby and I. After we split, I stop Ruby.

"Please let me fix it," I say, looking at her hair.

"No," Ruby says, swatting my hand away, "It's fine the way it is!"

"Have you seen your hair this morning? It looks like you went through one of those laundry machines at the wash house," I reply.

Ruby lets out a sigh and looks to the ground, "Fine."

After I make Ruby look somewhat presentable, we walk the few blocks left to Adamsdown Primary-Intermediate School. This is my last year here, and next year I will be at Dinah's high school.

***

After a long, gruelling day of maths and reading, school is out for the day. My school isn't all that exciting, really. My day at school usually consists of monotone lectures and textbook reading. Nobody dares to start any fun mischief, as the punishments here are brutal. One time, my friend Hellen and I were in algebra class, and Mildred Appleby was caught passing a note to Dylan Whelch. The teacher read the note aloud, and made her stand on her toes with her braids tacked to the wall for the rest of the period. She has had some nasty rumours going around about her since then.

"Jane!" Ruby calls, as I shake the memory out of my head. She runs over to the bench I was sitting on to wait for her.

"How was your day?" I ask, standing up.

"Eh, it was good, She answers, "can we stop by the library on our way home? I have a book to return."

As we get to the library, Ruby returns her book, and begins looking for a new one. I decide to sit in the big, squishy chairs. The library near us is a reasonable size, yet cosy at the same time. There are bigger libraries in Cardiff, but they’re more toward the centre of the city.

Ruby emerges from the aisles of books, holding a good few to last her the next couple weeks. “Are you doing anything today?” She asks.

“I’m actually going to Hellen’s house with Morgan later,” I say, “And Dinah is going to be busy teaching her evening Welsh class.”

Ruby looks to the floor, looking somewhat disappointed. “Oh,” she mumbles, “maybe I can ask to make cookies with mother then.”

I get up, as Ruby and I begin to check out her books, “Why don’t you play with the children in the neighbourhood? They seem nice.”

“I don’t know,” she replies, “I haven’t seen them in years. Besides, I’d rather spend my evening doing something quiet.”

“Well, if you’re wanting to make cookies,” I say, “we could tomorrow evening.”

Ruby and I head towards the door, “when?” she asks.

“You know,” I explain, “Tomorrow is Thursday. Mother and Father spend the evening at the dance hall on Thursdays. I can go to the market to buy ingredients, and I’m sure Dinah can help.”

“Okay!” Ruby says, “As long as we make them the shortbread kind.”

“Of course,” I answer.

We exit the library, and finish the journey home.

I'm sorry if this seemed a little slow. I promise that there is so much to come!