Chapter Six: ONE MONTH LATER

Hey guys! I'm so sorry that I haven't published in a while, I've had some writer's block, some issues logging in, and just busy. This chapter is a little long, so once again I do apologize. I will definitely try to keep things going again!

I wearily sit up in bed, realising with agony that it is morning. It is still dark outside, and I can't see much of anything. I light the oil lamp next to my bed, and look over to see Ruby is still asleep. I sigh, knowing that I have to get up and do chores around the house. Having school, and my job at the sweatshop, I don't have much time to spare for anything else.

I quietly put on my school dress and pinafore, tie my hair back, and put on my boots before going downstairs to do my chores.

I start by going to our small backyard that consists of clotheslines and an outhouse to take down clothes that I left out to dry overnight. I bring them inside, mend them and fold them nicely, and go upstairs to empty my chamber pot. Of all of my chores, this one is by far the least pleasant.

After I finish, I make sure that I wash up really well, and I make breakfast. I make a little bit of eggs for everyone, and I toast a slice of bread and cut it into three different pieces to share. By now, the sun is almost risen, so I don't feel nearly as tired.Dinah comes downstairs, looking tired. Ruby came down soon after.

"Good morning," I greet.

"Well I hope that you slept better than I did," Dinah states, "I only got home from the factory a little after midnight, and I barely had time to sleep."

"It's too bad that your Welsh class was shut down," I sigh, "not only did you make more money, but you didn't have to work as long either."

"I agree," Dinah answers yawning, "the Welsh language is dying. It's unfortunate."

We all sit down at the table, and eat our small breakfast.

"I will say I do miss sausage," Ruby mumbles, "it really doesn't make me want to scrub the floors for the Archibalds once again. Doing chores in their big house makes me feel like a poor orphan."

"Be grateful that you have that job, Ruby," I reply, "it was the best and safest one we could find for you. They treat you nicely."

"Max doesn't though," she sighs, "or should I say Mr Maximilian Pierre Archibald the third. Knowing that he makes me call him 'sir' even though we are the same age is quite disturbing to me."

"Nobody ever said that Max was an angel," Dinah adds, "his parents are indeed kind, even though I do find it saddening that 'obey Maximilian' is on your chores list there."

"He's ugly, too," Ruby remarks.

I suddenly burst out laughing as I hear the way Ruby say that, "he is the short one with the big nose I've seen in the park, is he not?"

"Don't be rude, Ruby," Dinah scolds.

"Well, she's not wrong, Dinah. You should see that kid try to get on a swing!" I continue laughing. I stop as soon as I see Dinah shoot a glare towards me. "Well," I pause, "we best be getting to school then. I packed a small lunch for you in your basket, Ruby."

"Thank you," Ruby says as she gets up from the table. She leaves the room to retrieve her books from her bedroom.

"I feel awful that you can't go to school anymore, Dinah," I exclaim, "you shouldn't have to go back to that horrid factory."

"It's alright," Dinah consoles, "It was my last year of school anyway, and I have more than enough credit to go to university."

"I know," I say, "but I still feel upset for you. Actually, I guess I'm more upset at the fact that we've been looking for mother and father for a month and we haven't gotten anywhere."