Chapter Two

Alright, guys! Get ready for some ✨️plot development✨️

Things aren't always what they seem. It is a phrase we have all heard in a way, whether it is "don't judge a book by its cover," or "the grass is always greener on the other side." There are some times at school when there is a new student that has the happiest attitude, and it makes it look like they have an amazing, perfect life. As we dig deeper, and get to know the person, we often find that the biggest smile can often cover the most tears. There is no such thing as a perfect family, or a perfect life. But my family almost feels perfect. My life is pretty great, but I often wonder, is there such a thing as paying a price for it?

"What are you laughing at, Jane?" Ruby asks, looking up at me.

"Nothing," I answer. There are times when I think so deeply, it's ridiculous. This would be one of those moments. "What's left on the list, Ruby?" I ask.

"Vanilla, eggs, and white sewing thread for mother," Ruby says, reading off of the piece of paper, as we're currently walking through the busy market a few blocks away from our flat, getting ingredients for baking cookies this evening, as I had promised.

"Father also asked if we could get some..." I pause, trying to pronounce the word, "guarana seed," I finish.

"What is that?" Ruby asks, "'cause it doesn't sound like it's from around here."

"Hold that thought Ruby," I say, as I see a vendor selling eggs. After buying a good dozen to last the week, we continue walking and I answer, "I think it's a plant that helps headaches, and to help energise."

"Like coffee?" Ruby questioned.

"Yes, sort of," I reply, "It comes all the way from South America, so it's expensive. Father has been awfully busy, and I think that's why he needs it. I'm sure we can find it at a pharmacy around here."

We finish getting the items on the list, and head home so I can have time to do evening chores before dinner. Father seemed relieved to get the medicine that Ruby and I had bought, as he was sitting at his desk in the corner of the parlour.

"Thank you, ma' wee angels." Father smiled as we presented the bottle, "my work has been doin' a number on me, this is a big help."

Father's strange Irish accent always makes me smile. Since moving here from Ireland, mother's accent has somewhat waned over the years, but it's definitely still there. Meanwhile, father's is still strong.

"You're welcome," I reply, "mother read the label to make sure we bought the right kind you needed."

"Oh, I'm sure you did," Father smiled, "now go on, and get your chores done, Jane. Ruby, I expect your homework to be done by the time your mother and I leave this evening."

Mother came into the parlour to find a recipe book just as Ruby groaned and gruffed, "I hate homework!"

"Ruby!" Mother snapped, "You know not to use such language!"

"I'm sorry, mother," Ruby apologises, as she leaves the room.

I follow Ruby out of the parlour, and head to the kitchen for my evening chores. I start by putting some tea on the stove, for mother as she is busy in the kitchen preparing dinner. I slice some bread, and set the table. Eventually, the tea is done, mother is finished making dinner, and we have all sat down to our meal.

***

After supper, Ruby and I were finishing up our homework in the parlour as Dinah was mending one of father's coats. Then mother and father came down the stairs, wearing some semi-formal clothes.

"Be good, children," Mother says, coming in and kissing Ruby on the forehead, "we should be back at about eight thirty."

Father tells us to make sure to extinguish the fire in the stove when we're done, as we say our goodbyes for the evening.

As soon as the door closes, I peek out the curtains of the window, and I see mother and father walking down the street. I spring up from the couch.

"...And the parents are gone!" I exclaim, "what are we going to do first?!"

"We should make the cookies!" Ruby blurts.

"It would be a good idea to start it now, before the sun goes down," Dinah says.

We spend most of the evening making the cookies. Dinah is helping a lot, and we both were able to teach Ruby a thing or two about baking. We lost track of time, and soon enough we were baking by the light of oil lamps and candles. Even when we are working in the dark, we have fun, singing silly songs, and making as many cookies as we can. I don't realise how tired I am getting until we set the last tray of cookies on the table.

"We'll definitely be giving some to the neighbours," Dinah says, looking down at the surplus of shortbread cookies.

"We can't do that!" I exclaim, "Then we'll only have..." I pause to count the trays,

"Sixty cookies for us. We're going to go through that within days."

"Jane, sixty cookies is more than plenty," Dinah states, rolling her eyes.

"Dinah? Jane?" Ruby asks.

"What, Ruby?" I answer.

"It's nine-thirty," She says, pointing to the clock, "mother and father should have been back an hour ago."

I look up at the clock hanging on the wall, to discover that Ruby was right.

"It's alright. They're probably just having extra fun tonight," Dinah says casually, "they probably lost track of time like we did. We'll continue to enjoy ourselves in the meantime."

We clean up the kitchen, and make sure that the stove is completely off before heading to the parlour to play some board games. We spend the next half hour playing board games, until we get bored and decide to do some light reading, expecting that we will go to bed soon. Before I know it, it's eleven o'clock, and our parents are still not home.

"You do think they're alright, don't you, Dinah?" I ask. At this point, I can see by the look on Dinah's face that she is growing worried.

"I'm sure they are," She answers, "they're probably just having fun."

"Can we go to the dance hall to see if they're still at there?" Ruby asks.

"No," Dinah replies, "we can't go out at this time of night. It's late, and we all have school tomorrow. We should be getting to bed."

I know that what Dinah is saying is true, but as tired as I am, in bed is the last place I want to be.

"Come on, Ruby," I say, "mother and father will be back by the morning, I'm sure of it." I look over towards Dinah, and she nods her head.

I guide Ruby upstairs, and we get ready for bed, trying to act as normal as possible. As Ruby goes to bed, I go downstairs with an oil lamp to find Dinah still sitting in the parlour, with a book.

"What if..?" I ask. My stomach feels as if it's in knots, and I can't even finish the sentence.

What if...? It echoes in my head, over and over again. I'm trying my hardest not to think the worst, but I can't avoid it. There are a million different what ifs in my head right now, and the more what ifs I come up with, the deeper my worry gets.

"What should we do?" I finish.

"We'll see if they come home tonight," Dinah shrugs, "I'm sure they'll be back by morning, so just try to get some sleep."

"You know I can't," I reply, "I can stay up if you need me to."

"I'll be okay," She says, "just go to bed, please."

I reluctantly do as Dinah asks, head upstairs, and settle into bed. It's eerily quiet, in the calm darkness. The only sound I can hear is my own breathing, and Ruby constantly tossing and turning.

"Jane?" Ruby asks, "You think mother and father are alright, don't you?"

I take a deep breath, and calmly explain, "Everything will be okay, Ruby. Mother and father are fine, they'll be home soon."