Chapter Seven

Hello! The storyline is definitely starting to pick up ;)

I lie on the sofa in the parlour, wishing that I could just stay there forever. I only sat down a few minutes ago, and that is after a 14 hour day of school, chores, and endless sewing in a musty room. I haven't even done my homework, and it is the last thing I want to do right now. I think I've lost all motivation for school, knowing that it is the least of my problems. I am here, making sure that the house doesn't fall apart. I try to keep everyone fed with what little we have, work tirelessly to add a little bit of money to what Dinah makes, and keep my little sister going too. I have to make sure that we survive.

"Jane! Are you awake?" I open my eyes to see Dinah standing right there.

"Dinah?" I ask, rubbing my eyes, "I thought you were supposed to be at work?"

"It's Sunday, remember? I have Sundays off."

"No, I don't remember, actually," I answer, "I just finished all my chores. There is some breakfast on the stove. I thought that I was just about to go to school."

"Well we have church, remember? Go upstairs and put on your nice dress please."

Now I can't even remember what day it is. I groan, and head upstairs to get dressed.

I open my closet and smile at my favourite dress. I put it on, along with the matching hat, hair ribbon, and lace gloves. I stand in the mirror in awe. There is just nothing like wearing your favourite dress. I stare in the mirror, at the beautiful sunshine yellow dress with large sleeves and the perfect amount of ruffles and lace. I look at the white lace gloves that compliment the dress, and I twirl around numerous times. Small pleasures like this feel like a light in our darkness.

"Jane!" I hear Dinah yell, "let's go!"

I get downstairs and see Dinah wearing her Sunday's best: a walking suit with a robin's egg blue satin skirt that flows to her feet, accompanied by a lacy white blouse and a matching jacket with large, puffy sleeves. I always feel like such a little girl standing next to my exquisite older sister; especially if I'm stuck wearing my knee-length dresses and pinafores.

Ruby comes downstairs with a lilac dress that is similar to mine, just another reason for me to feel like a small child.

***

Church has always been important to me and my family, and many parts of the service are usually in Welsh, such as the prayers. That part was the only drawback for mother and father when they came, but they don't usually mind because Dinah, Ruby and I can translate. In the rare times that I speak the Welsh that Dinah had taught me, it's usually here in church. While I must admit that church was something that I found rather boring not even a few months ago, now I find it to be more of a place of refuge. It feels more like a peaceful and quiet place where I can sit and rest.

After the service, everyone casually visits, and the children play. I stand with Dinah as Ruby plays outside with the other kids.

"...and then I told Todd that if he doesn't get out of the house, I will chase him with my wooden spoon myself!" One of the women laugh.

"And what about you, Dinah?" My attention quickly comes back as one of them eagerly turns toward Dinah, "Have you had any luck with suitors?"

I smile, trying to hold in my laughter, knowing very well that they won't be getting the answer that they want.

"Well," Dinah hesitates, "I haven't exactly had the time for that, as I've been working quite excessively."

"That is why you must make time!" Another lady giggles. That is when I decide not to stick around.