12

"And I will wait if it's time you need. What I see in you I hope you find in me, 'cause you are gold." You Are Gold by The National Parks

" You Are Gold by The National Parks

The girls are all wishing Meg and Addy farewell as they prepare to depart on the beautiful summer day. The two girls had turned 18 throughout the winter and Annie Moffat had invited Meg and Addy to attend her debutante ball due to her adoration of the two sisters. As they are preparing to enter the carriage, provided by Mr. Laurence, Jo and Laurie are pretending to box. 

Hannah begins fussing about the shoes that the girls brought and Marmee holds onto Beth as she stares at the ground. 

"Hurry up you two! Meg and Addy will be gone for a whole week!" Amy cried, holding on to Adeline's waist tightly. 

"Coming!" Laurie sighed, his low demeanour returning. He was not happy that Adeline was invited to this ball, as he knew the purpose; to show off Meg and Addy as prospects for rich young men. 

"You take the other carriage and surprise them- make sure they don't fall in love!" Jo whisper yelled her plan to Laurie, who was all too willing to participate. 

"Ladies, I wish nothing more for you than to just be who you are. You are lovely and beautiful. These two necklaces were mine when I was your age. I want you to have them, I never understood why people saved jewelry for marriage. Pretty things should be enjoyed," Marmee had pulled the two girls aside, handing them each a box as they gasped and hugged their Mother. 

Jo spun around, kneeling to the ground and pulling a ring off of her finger, placing it in Laurie's hand. 

"Yes, pretty things should be enjoyed," she giggled, getting back up as Laurie stared at the ring. Addy noticed this interaction, snapping her head back into focus. Perhaps she could find herself a handsome rich man and shove away all her feelings for Laurie. 

"I wish I could go to the debutante ball," Amy sighed dreamily as the girls got into the carriage. 

"Do you think this is a good idea? Meg going away like this on her own?" Mr. Brooke asked Marmee timidly, hating the situation. 

"She is not alone. Adeline is with her," Marmee teased as John blushed. 

"Besides, girls need to go into the world and make up their own minds about things," Marmee snuggled Beth close to her again, watching her daughters excitedly chat about their week. 

"Don't forget about us!" Jo cried, holding onto Meg and Addy's hands as she stood by the window of the carriage. 

"It's only a week," Meg giggled, patting her younger sister on the cheek. 

"Thank you again for the carriage, Mr. Laurence. We don't know how to ever repay you," Adeline spoke to the older gentleman as he beamed with slight mischief in his tone.