1. | Frenzy |

Thousands of whispers poured into her ears as Faine once again felt the earth spin

Thousands of whispers poured into her ears as Faine once again felt the earth spin. They skittered off the walls and pooled along the floor, drowning the room in a cacophony of static.

Her mind was drawn to the quietest voice, nothing more than a static echo.

Alive.

Alive, alive, alive.

One word, grounding her.

"Faine."

Another word, some deep kernel of her soul stirred at the sound.

She swallowed mechanically, unsure of how to use her body. Her arms no longer answered to her, her lungs ragged and sore. Each breath laboring under a forgotten pretense.

Slowly, one finger moved, skin hissing in protest.

"Faine?"

The word was a question now, yet her heart thudded to life.

Desperation leaked into the voice, male and tired. At last her eyes cracked open, whirls of marbled gray mist clouding one eye. They gave way to a world of gray contrasting the other of subtle color.

Had the world always contrasted itself?

One half gray, the other vibrant and saturated.

Though the voice sounded near, she could not see a body. It carried more weight than the whispers raging around them. More emotion.

She coughed, chunks of ash and rubble spitting onto the floor beside her.

The pavement beneath Faine's hands radiated warmth and left her skin feeling chalky. Soot stained her palms black and gray.

"Please, Faine, I don't-"

"You're not one of the voices..." she said, eyes scanning the room.

He is the Shadow Wraith.

The Shadow Wraith of Mithlis.

There was no one else in the room, nothing solid or tangible. The more Faine looked, the more her eyes burned and stung, her mind pulsing with pain.

The voice laughed incredulously. "What are you talking about?"

"The Shadow Wraith..."

Existence stopped.

She felt the air leave the room, blurry eyes focusing on the strange shadow beneath her. The silhouette was much longer than her small frame, with wider shoulders and more slender hips. The only thing she couldn't decipher was if it was the source of her whispers or the voice echoing off the walls.

"What did you just say to me...?"

Faine pushed herself into a sitting position, careful not to strain her head even more. Now it was her muscles that ached, her bones groaning to life with movement. Her teeth gritted as pain ripped across the surface of her skin.