12. | The Traitor |

She dwelled in a world of black and white

A world where her vision was welcome, enhancing and refining the wispy smoke she remembered for all those years. What once had taken great concentration now came to her with ease.

The one gift, the one blessing this destruction had given her.

And Faine was going to use it to end him.

The first floor was surprisingly empty. Everywhere and nowhere, Faine spread out the very essence of her mind, casting a wide net over the entire bottom floor. What she could see were rooms filled with filing cabinets and computers, a desk near the front similar to the Compound.

A woman typing at the desk paused for a moment, wrinkling her nose. Before Faine could pull her energy back, the woman simply sneezed and went back to her job.

Relief flooded Faine, so she continued. She felt a secured bottom floor with a wide expanse of space stretching out. A training room. Weapons lined the walls, a few people sparing beneath her with javelins. Despite how archaic it seemed, she supposed it was best to fight someone with long range training, considering her specialty was close quarters.

She couldn't assume they weren't taught everything.

Without disturbing the peace, Faine drifted through the silhouettes and shadows, slipping through one of the corridors and finding her way onto the second floor.

She swallowed uncomfortably at what she saw.

"All personnel are to be briefed on the current situation," droned a monotone woman. "The High Court of Mithlis have yet to make a decision on the loss of Trace's whereabouts. Naisene's efforts to dissuade their concerns and the surviving captive have acted as useful distractions."

Faine's throat tightened, her heart sinking into her gut as she eyed the twenty Guard's watching this woman at the front of the room.

They'd been a distraction. Naisene, her life, the explosion. They had all been distractions.

The High Court and the Royal Guard haven't made a move, with false evidence lining their desks.

She felt like she was going to be sick.

"Mt. Signet is to be emptied within four days, before the detonation levels the entire building. The new facility has been prepared and all high-level personnel are to be escorted off the premises by sundown tomorrow."

Faine shuddered, her heart hammering. She felt the cold sweats threatening to consume her, but without the time or the resources she knew she only had one option.

Master herself.

Master her thoughts and fears so she could take down Trace before the building was demolished.

"You may report to your scheduled shifts," she said again, disinterested in the situation. "You're dismissed."

She was running out of time.