2. | Emotional Warfare |

She didn't know when the world became black and gray

When the clumsy confines of her body disappeared, leaving nothing but the visions of molten shadow in their wake.

Faine watched as space vanished, leaving her everywhere and nowhere. Through the raging panic and crippling thoughts, her essence seeped across every wall and through every door, images of burnt bodies trapped beneath rubble flooded her awareness. Operating rooms meant for anything but healing, shattered screens and warped furniture. Each victim's last word and breath echoing into her consciousness.

Whether she was running or flying, she slipped through the rubble with ease until she felt the very real sensation of dirt scraping against her knees.

Squeezing her eyes shut, a memory slipped to the forefront. A line of a dozen syringes, perhaps more. The liquid swirling inside silver and metallic, yet somehow translucent as well. Then thick, calloused hands grasping one, slamming the needle into her neck.

The screaming left her mind through her lungs involuntarily.

Reaching out her hands, Faine watched them phase in and out of reality, turning to smoke and then flame, morphing into shadowed talons and then back to the charred fingers she'd barely recognized.

A new chanting began now, more wild and frantic than before. "What's happening to me... What's happening to me!"

A firm, tight presence grabbed at her shoulders. "You need to breathe now," the voice said.

But she couldn't.

The forced grasps for control only encouraged the rapid, hoarse breathing. Her mind and body ached as if she herself was now broken.

The fingers kneaded into her arms, applying more pressure as she descended into madness.

"Breathe."

"I... Can't..."

"Breathe."

"I can't!"

With force, Faine's back collided with the wall. When she blinked again, the fully formed figure in front of her was nothing more than a silhouette given substance.

Rich, quiet laughter flooded her mind. Glinting amber eyes filling in the structured features from before. A name with them.

"Karras..." she whispered.

The shadow huffed a laugh. "Of course that's what you remember."

"What?" Faine asked, pulling in another deep breath.

The form – likely taking the name Karras – shook his head. "Nevermind, I'll take it as a sign of faith that you're remembering anything at all."

"That's your name..."

"Yes," he replied, though it sounded bitten out.

"Where are we?" Faine whispered, slowly stepping away from the wall and taking a look around.