Spotlight #3 : AziaElga

Welcome, Wattpadders to another edition of Authors Spotlight with AziaElga and their story Cherry On Top

Cherry On Top resolves around the story of Chole Lee, a young girl that's struggling to earn money for her mother's surgery

Cherry On Top resolves around the story of Chole Lee, a young girl that's struggling to earn money for her mother's surgery. She appears to be juggling her two lives — the author shows determination, love, and the resilient nature of both the characters Chloe and RJ.

It also grasps the essence and mannerisms of the year 2014, making the struggles of both girls a lot more relatable. The Singlish dialect used in the dialogs is a brilliant touch depicting the localism of the story's origin.

The ending leaves the readers with a fluttering heart and a promise of a better tomorrow for the loving characters as they embark on their own journey as adults.

Cherry On Top is a story that one can binge-read for light reading. It's filled with heartfelt moments that leave the readers with a smile on their faces.

We also sat down with the author to have a little chat. Interested to know how this story came to be or the author's challenges in writing it? Read on to know more.

 To start off the interview, what sparked the inspiration to write Cherry On Top?

The original premise of the story came from fanfiction I wrote back more than ten years ago. I've always liked the rich X poor dynamic and the premise of a secret relationship in a bar, but I am not happy with my past execution and the way I ended the story. Therefore, I decided to redo this fanfiction into an original work, this time adding elements that I have grown to feel strongly about as a writer: making it a sapphic love story and having the setting be in Singapore, the country I grew up in.

That's a sweet touch to the story, And Wattpad has always been the place for budding writers. What do you think makes Wattpad different from other platforms?

Wattpad is still the best platform for me to meet and befriend other like-minded writers. There are so many aspiring writers with similar interests. I came for the ability to post my work, but I stayed for the community. :)

Those are some great words said. As for the question that we cannot avoid asking, how do you avoid or get out of writer's block?

I've stopped so many ongoing works in the past. What I find works for me is to spend at least two weeks working on a full outline of the story. Knowing exactly where things should be headed helps me keep my head in the game as I write. I understand this is not for everyone, but this method has helped me get my first few novels to completion.

Now coming to some deep insight, negative criticism is inevitable, how do you deal with it? And what would you suggest the others do when faced with such?

I read a lot of books and read a lot of reviews of the books I read, and I find that this helps me learn that not every book I greatly enjoy is loved by everyone. Similarly, there are diehard fans for every book I dislike too. This helps me put all my criticisms in perspective: just because someone dislikes my book does not mean it's not a good book for someone else. As long as I stay true to myself and to the story I want to create, negative criticisms should not deter me from my path.

In the story's description, you've mentioned Crazy Rich Asians and Heartstopper, which one can you binge-watch in a single day?

Crazy Rich Asians is a fun, brainless romance I like to watch in the background, while Heartstopper is a series that I will watch bundled up in blankets and drinking warm cocoa. Honestly, they're both so different, I don't think I can pick one. xD

What's your message for our readers?

Genuinely, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so, so much for reading my books. They are little nuggets of my soul, and I am always so happy to see people enjoy

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions AziaElga your words have inspired us all.

We're delighted to have AziaElga as one of our spotlighted authors! Interested to know how you can become one? Each author here has been noticed by us for their outstanding book. Keep working on your story and submit your story to our reading lists to get noticed more easily.