Spotlight #6: Nicoismysenpai

This month's spotlighted author is Nicoismysenpai with their story The Soulmate Paradox! 

The Soulmate Paradox takes the reader on an emotional and happening ride. The readers can relate to the characters. The story is chaotic yet interesting leaving the readers both amused and hooked to the storyline. If you're looking for some light reading and an amazing story then this is it for you.

We've also conducted an interview. Interested to know how this story came to be the author's challenges of writing it? Read on to know more.

1. Hi, thank you for having this conversation with us! First of all welcome to Author Spotlights, we're very intrigued to know what inspired you to start writing on Wattpad.

Hello! Thank you so much for having me, I really appreciate the opportunity! For what inspired me to start writing on Wattpad, well...I've been writing fanfiction since I was about 12, and I started off on Quotev. I soon branched off into original fiction, and one of my friends insisted that Wattpad was a better site to write on than Quotev. I was a huge Quotev defender at that time, so I decided to prove her wrong by checking out Wattpad. Spoiler alert: she was right.

2. Your readers will be greatly thankful to your friend, because of her they've now got a masterpiece to fan over. What do you think makes Wattpad different from other platforms?

I suppose what really separates Wattpad from other platforms is how easy it is to interact with other people on here. Besides having the DMs function, Wattpad also has things like a message board and announcements, so that makes it super easy to communicate with my friends and readers on here!

3. We've seen that The Soulmate Paradox was shortlisted for Wattys 2021 and there are a couple of other recognizations for the story as well. So what was your initial reaction when you first saw your story as part of the shortlist? And do you still get those rush of happy hormones when your story gets new recognition?

I'll be honest: I screamed. I screamed so loud that my mom rushed into my room because she legitimately thought I was being murdered. I think I cried a bit too, actually! (Happy tears, of course ;P) I couldn't believe that I was on the shortlist, especially since The Soulmate Paradox was eliminated from Round One of the Open Novella Contest (which was the original purpose I wrote TSP for), so I couldn't believe how far it had gotten! And I absolutely get that rush of happy hormones still! For example, I felt super happy when I saw this interview request, haha. But seriously, every new achievement feels like the first all over again, because I'm just so happy whenever TSP gets a new award or added to a new reading list since I genuinely never expected TSP to get this far.

4. It's always the little moments, that make great memories. Well, one inevitable thing is having bad days, so what's your go-to cure for a bad day?

Ooh, I usually listen to some upbeat music and dance whenever I feel sad or down, which always helps me feel better! I also make myself a caramel latte and a bowl of ramen, or I treat myself to something sweet like ice cream! I also sometimes pour all my emotions into my writing, which really does help eliminate all that negative energy since it's all put into my writing.

5. Music and ice cream to the rescue! Honestly, we can't help but be intrigued, what's your writing pace?

I'll be honest: I have no clue! It really depends on my mood and how busy I am at that time. As I'm a full-time college student with a part-time job (I'm an English tutor, so it depends on how many students I have at that time) and a surprisingly decent social life, sometimes my schedule's a bit packed and I write slower. And writer's block loves to bite me in the arse, so I do write slower sometimes. But sometimes, when I really enter a period where I'm super inspired or have a tight deadline to work with, I can write at the speed of light, haha. I wrote a 25k novella in 3 days one time, although I WILL admit that I got maybe 2 hours of sleep in total during those days:,) So my writing pace is super inconsistent and can range from 25k words in 3 days to 25k words in 3 months.

6. Sadly we would have to draw an end to this interview. Any message for our readers?

I guess my message would be to check out my books; 'm just kidding, haha. My real message would be to never give up. Seriously. Like, The Soulmate Paradox didn't even make it past ROUND ONE of the ONC, but I didn't give up on it, and now it's achieved more than I ever dreamed of. Keep pushing forward, and don't let anything stop you! If you mean a message in general, my message would be to take care of yourselves. Like, seriously. If you need a nap, dessert, or a caramel macchiato, have it. It's okay to make time for yourself take a break from everything, and to treat yourself sometimes. Make sure to stay healthy and drink lots of water too! Also, spread positivity instead of negativity, because we need more love in this world <3

We're delighted to have Nicoismysenpai as one of our spotlighted authors! Interested to know how you can become one? Each author here has been noticed by us for their outstanding book. Keep working on your story and submit your story to our reading lists to get noticed more easily.