P R O L O G U E

𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘦𝘯𝘫𝘰𝘺.

♥️

W  H  E  N     I  T     A  L L     B  E  G  U  N

The cold wind around me kept swirling, and the city's hustle and bustle didn't go unnoticed either.

If anything, New York was known for this. The liveliness in its air, the opportunities in its heart and what not. It's like a little bit of the whole world. People from all across the globe came here to make their dreams come too, and I just happened to be one of the few fortunate ones who succeeded.

I kept walking down the streets steadily as the heel of my Louis Vuitton dug into the ground. The cool breeze sent shivers down my spine. I dug my hands deeper into my trench coat pockets in search of warmth, hoping to find comfort.

With Goosebumps covering my arms, a shiver again ran through my body.

So cold, just like everything else around me.

I looked up at a massive billboard at the end of the street.

Meet the power couple, it read.

Sighing, I looked away and finally stopped walking down the busy streets when the building I was looking for came across.

This was it.

The building still looked the same, with its distinctive architectural design; it was unlike any other structure here in New York, which, I suppose, is why it was often featured in magazines as a one-of-its-kind house.

For others, it was a piece of art, but to me, it screamed 'welcome home', but I knew better.

My hands clenched whilst my nails dug into the skin of my palm, probably making it bleed, but it didn't compare to the pain in my heart.

It hurt my soul to realise that this place was no longer my home. Honestly, it broke me, but I planned on making it mine again.

At least for a little while.

With determination clear in my eyes, I stepped inside the building.

The security guard beside the entrance gate gawked when he saw me but did not try to stop me.

I knew people were talking about me, about us. Right now, it is the staff in our house, tomorrow it'll be the people around us.

You have to be strong.

When he saw me, the security guard beside the entrance gate stared but did not attempt to stop me.

In confusion, his mouth stayed wide open.

Even if this place was no longer my home, the staff knew their limits, and no one had the authority to prohibit me from entering this building.

Holding my head high, I reminded myself that I was Charlotte William and, as a William, I had dignity.

How long will I continue to be a William, though?

I walked inside the building and relaxed once the cold wind outside was no longer in contact with my skin.

Bliss, pure bliss.

Shaking my head and getting rid of the useless thought, I knocked on the door.

Twice.