Chapter Two: Don't Get Burned

Alarik goes rigid as another dragon enters the room.
    "What do we have here?" The dragon asks. Alarik blocks me with his body as best he can.
    "You should have knocked, Xander." He says.
    "Really?" Xander crosses his arms, "And why's that?" The dragon peers over Alarik's shoulder, trying to get a good look at me.
    "What are you trying to hide from me?" Xander asks, "A new toy you're playing with?" I need to hide this. Reaching across the bed, I grab a throw blanket and pull it around me as fast as I can. Xander barks a sharp, unnerving laugh.
    "My god. What have you done to the poor thing?" He laughs, "She's covering herself up!"
    "She won't be covered for long." Is Alarik's reply. I shiver, praying his words are just part of the act. I slowly re-bandage my marked arm under the blanket, trying not to draw Xander's attention. It doesn't work.
    "Take that off, slave." He demands. Alarik tries to stop him, but Xander is quick. He pulls the blanket from my body. Alarik's body goes rigid with fear, but quickly turns into relief when his eyes land on my bandaged arm.
    "What's with the bandage?" Xander asks curiously.
    "I was injured during the fight." I lie.
    "Injured, huh?" Xander asks, "Not used to dragon's wings, are you, little doll?" I swallow a dozen comebacks. At my silence, Xander's eyes darken. He takes a step toward me.
    "When you're asked a question you will answer. And you will call us 'Master', you cocky–" Alarik throws out a powerful arm, stopping Xander in his tracks.
    "She wears my collar, Xander." The two dragons face off. After a long, tense moment, Xander laughs, putting up his hands innocently.
    "Got it. She's yours to discipline." Xander laughs. That's when I see it. The door behind Xander is ajar. I could get out of here. I just need a distraction. With a fake whimper, I crumple to the ground.
    "Lavena!" Alarik drops to his knees, "Xander, get help!" When Xander's back is turned, I kick him in the leg. He staggers forward, trying to catch himself while Alarik watches in shock.
    "What the f–!" Xander exclaims. Before either man can react, I'm out the door.

    I sprint down stone hallway after hallway, not daring to look back. Finally, I reach two heavy doors. This must be a way out. I shove the doors open, and stumble into a vast room packed with dragon lords. Beyond the crowd lies an empty throne. The dragons all turn toward me. Some are angry, others are confused. But one thing's certain... There's nowhere to run.
    "I-I, uh, think I'm lost." I manage out. A chorus of threatening growls keeps me rooted to the stpot. The dragons slowly advance on me–
    "Enough." Everyone turns when Alarik enters. He cuts through the crowd and they part for him. Are they listening to him? Alarik walks past me, his head held higher than I've ever seen before. Then, he approaches the stone-carved throne... and sits upon it. Everyone bows before him. My jaw falls open in horror. No. It can't be. He can't be the–
    "Kneel before your king, slave." Alarik demands, cold eyes meeting mine. My heart pounds in my chest. I've never seen the Dragon King. No one I know has ever seen him. This whole time he was– Alarik glares at me, but it's not anger I sense from him... it's nervousness. Cold dread. I feel everyone's eyes on me. A guard moves to grab me–
    "No." Alarik says firmly, "She's mine to command. And she knows her place." His eyes flick back to mine.
    "Kneel, Lavena. Now." Gritting my teeth, I raise my chin defiantly. Everyone in the room murmurs furiously. I don't care what happens to me. I'm no one's property. Alarik rises from his throne. He walks toward me, rage pouring off of him like waves. When he raises his hand, I prepare myself for a strike... but he lays it softly on my head.
    "Consider this your last warning, slave." He says lowly, "You'll follow my orders from now on." He presses down, forcing me to bow my head. When I do, the tension in the room lifts.
    "You've chosen quite the... spirited creature, Your Highness." Xander squanters into the throne room with his fake smile, and a shiver runs up my spine.
    "Yes, I have." Alarik agrees, "And as my friend, I expect you to treat her with dignity." Xander nods quickly.
    "Of course. In fact, I was just about to ask..." He bows low, that creepy grin never leaving his face, "To honor the arrival, might I invite you both to dine with me tonight?" Alarik is silent for a long moment, considering the offer. Then... he nods.
    "We'll accept this invitation. Thank you."