Chapter Twelve: Carnal Desires

"Alarik–"
    "You have to fight me, Lavena." He growls. His electric blue eyes blaze in the darkness as he grips his chest, contorting, growling far more intense and feral.
    "Don't let me come anywhere near you!" He roars.
    "Alarik, get a hold of yourself!" I yell, crawling back on the bed.
    "I can't!" He growls, "This drug is... it's–" I back away on the bed as the last of his voice disintegrates into an animalistic snarl. Oh. Shit.
    "Alarik, stay back." I say firmly, "I don't want to have to hurt you." But with a low, threatening growl, Alarik suddenly lunges for me. I duck and roll off the mattress right before he is able to pin me. The force of his massive, untamed body cracks the bed frame. He leaps from the bed with inhuman agility, landing on his feet right in front of me. I back up quickly.
    "Stop! You don't want to do this!" I exclaim.
    "I will claim you." The dark, commanding words boil up from his throat like magma, threatening to burn. He throws his arms out and catches me around the waist, lifting me into the air. I kick out and scream as he leans into my neck. I feel his hands inch higher, a groping hunger in his touch. He told me to fight him, so that's what I'll do. I lift my arm, aiming for Alarik's nose with a silent apology. Then, I slam my elbow into Alarik's nose with all my might. Alarik roars and his grip loosens. I drop to the ground and roll out of his reach.
    "You don't want to do this, Alarik. Stop!" My words resound throughout the cave, ringing in his bestial ears. His blue eyes widen.
    "Lavean," My name comes from his mouth with a tortured gasp, the pain so clear it makes my heart twist. This isn't his fault. Alarik tears on his leather-strapped chest, warring between beast and man. He claws at his own skin, roaring with frustration and pain. When his hungry eyes land on me once more, he opens his mouth wide... releases his draconic fangs... and bites down on his own arm.

    "Alarik! No!" I gasp. Tears prick his wild eyes as he sinks his teeth into his own flesh again and again, his voice strangled and desperate.
    "I won't! I won't!" He's going to tear himself apart!
    "Alarik stop!" I cry, "You're acting like a monster!" With the focus of a predator, Alarik's eyes snap to me. I turn to run.
    "No, no, no–" I fling myself away from Alarik, but it's no use. He's too fast. He slams me to the ground, snarling like a wild beast. I throw my hands up in self-defense, and his fangs sink into my palm.
    "AHH!" A tidal wave of burning pain suddenly shoots through my bloodstream like acid. My Dragon Mark burns through me to Alarik, and the shock of seeing me in pain brings Alarik back, and he blinks down at me in horror.
    "Oh my god, Lavena. My venom–"
    "It's not your fault." I gasp, clutching my shaking hand.
    "Yes, it is. Of course, it is!" Alarik takes me in his arms, his eyes wide and panicked. I want to be strong, I want to tell him not to worry, but the pain is far too great. I scream, gritting my teeth.
    "Lavena," Alarik's hold on me tightens. Through his hands, I feel my Dragon Mark flare to life, but it isn't pain I feel through it. It's relief.
    "Please, Lavena. Give me your pain." Alarik begs. For a fleeting moment, I feel my strength return and the unbearable pain dulls. What is he trying–? I try to hold still, but a blinding pain makes me writhe, loosening Alarik's grip. The heat from his connection dies and the pain returns in full force, making me scream.
    "I can take your pain away. I can take it all for you, Lavena." Alarik's arms tighten around me again. Through burning tears, I look up into his eyes. The gleam with aggression, but with desperation and guilt.
    "Levena, please. You have to let me in." I feel the soothing warmth of Alarik's attempt to trickle back in, blocked by something I put in place.
    "Let me in." He pleads. I shake my head, squeezing my eyes shut.
    "No. I won't let you–" Alarik grimaces.
    "Okay. Then I'll do this as fast as I can." He lifts my palm to his mouth, sucking the venom from my body through blinding pain. I scream as the acid-like venom shoots through me. Alarik holds me as still as he can. After what seems like an eternity, the venom is sucked away.