Chapter Three: Dragons Games

What's going on? My mind races as dozens of guards shove me toward the door.
    "I didn't approve of this hunt, Xander." Alarik says firmly, "My power is greater than this game." 
    "Oh, I'm so sorry, Your Highness." Xander fakes an apology, "But as you know, once the black bell is rung, it can't be un-rung." My heart's in my throat. As the guards drag me past Alarik, he grabs my arm and growls under his breath.
    "Just stay alive. I'll find you."
    "Stay alive? What do you mean?" I ask quickly. Before Alarik can answer, I'm pulled away.

    The other slaves and I are herded into a large room. Panic and confusion hang thick in the air.
    "Lavena? What's going on?" Lillian grabs my arm, clinging to me for dear life, blood caking her shoulder from Xander's bite.
    "I don't know, but everything will be all right." I assure her.
    "H-how?" She asks, voice shaking.
    "By being smart." I reply, "We just have to be careful. We'll outwit them." Lillian seems to relax slightly.
    "Do you really think that'll work?" She asks.
    "Yes." I nod, "We'll be find as long as we stick together." Suddenly, a guard grabs me and pulls me away from Lillian.
    "Lavena!" She gasps.

    I struggle, but it's no use. The guard throws me into a small room. I'm shocked when I see who's waiting for me there.
    "You really do have a naughty streak, little slave." Celeste glides over to me, her blood stained lips curling into a sadistic smile.
    "It wasn't smart pissing off Xander. I doubt you'll survive this night." She says, faking sympathy.
    "What do you mean?" I demand, "What is this hunt?"
    "It's a game we like to play with the new slaves." Celeste replies, "You're all rounded up, dressed in our favorite color, gold, and... You're set free."
    "Set free?" I ask slowly, "What's the catch?" Celeste's eyebrows shoot up in slight surprise, but that's quickly replaced by a wicked smile.
    "The catch?" She laughs, "You are, of course. We'll be hunting you. If one of us catches you before dawn, we get to do whatever we want to you. For the whole night." She adds. My blood runs cold as Celeste drags her long, slender finger under my chin, her voice sickeningly sweet.
    "You know... a night can feel like an awfully long time... especially with someone like me. But," She smiles, "I'm nothing compared to Xander." I try not to shake as Celeste shoves me toward a pile of gold clothes.
    "Good luck tonight. When someone catches Xander's eye..." She laughs "Well, they never last long." She pauses at the door, casting me a sweet smile, "And you certainly have his eye." She slams the door behind her, leaving me alone. Trying not to panic, I turn to the clothes. I need something I can run in. I sift through the pile of fabric. Most of what I find are skimpy, barely-there dresses. Of course. Sick freaks. The best option I find is at the bottom of the pile. Low rise black leather paints and a thin gold top. I also grab a black vest with multiple buckles, hoping it will cover the gold of the shirt. It doesn't. At least it's not a dress. I can get by in this. I want to make a plan. I want time to think, but the second I'm clothed, a guard bursts into the room and hauls me out.

    "Let go of me!" I demand. I'm lead into the cold night air, where dozens of frightened humans are being chained. Someone comes up behind me, purring in my ear.
    "Run fast, little girl." Xander whispers, "I love a good chase."
    "Come for me. I dare you." I spit back.
    "Brave." He laughs, "That's cute. But a few hours alone with me and you'll forget what courage even means." An ice cold shiver runs down my spine. I turn to face him, but he slips a blindfold over my eyes.
    "I look forward to our time together. After I catch you." Xander's voice says.
    "Go to hell, you sick–" With an alarming amount of strength, he shoves me into a dragon's talon. Then, I launch into the air.

    After a day-long flight, the dragon lands and my blindfold is ripped off to reveal a vast expanse of twisted metal and concrete. This must be what they used to call a 'city'. Before dragons descended and destroyed them all.
    "Welcome to our hunting ground, little pets." With his telltale grin, Xander saunters over to me and the other trembling slaves.
    "By now you all know what will happen if we catch you before dawn. There's just one rule to this little game..." His fangs appear and he runs a tongue over the tips, "...Run as fast as you can."