Chapter Nine: Cornered

We freeze as Celeste stares at me wrapped in Alarik's arms, standing over the remains of Xander's body. I back away from Alarik quickly, but Celeste only scoffs.
    "Don't bother trying to hide it. I saw everything." She says angrily.
    "Celeste, this isn't what it looks like." Alarik says firmly.
    "No?" She demands, "So you have a good explanation for our slaughtered friend? You can explain why you're feeling each other up over his remains?"
    "Xander attacked first." I explain, "It was self defense."
    "Ah, so you're an honest murderer." She laughs.
    "It wasn't murder, it was self defense–"
    "Slaves have no right to self defense!" Celeste yells, her entire body shaking with rage. Scowling, Alarik steps in front of me protectively.
    "You can't breathe a word of this, Celeste. That's an order." She crosses her arms.
    "I din't take orders from traitorous killers." She turns to leave–
    "Name your price for your silence." Alarik says suddenly. His words resound throughout the chamber, stopping Celeste in her tracks. She turns back in one serpentine movement.
    "You know what I want." She smirks, "Your hand in marriage." My chest tightens. I feel Alarik's whole body tense. For a long moment, no one says anything.
    "Consider it done."
    "What?" I gasp, "Alarik, I'll take the blame." Celeste shakes her head.
    "That's not what I want. The only thing I want is him." Celeste slinks over to Alarik, kissing his ear and whispering, "We do it tomorrow, or I blame this whole mess on your little pet." Grimly, he nods. With that, he takes my hand and leads me silently back to his chambers.

    When he shuts the door, I round on him.
    "You have to marry her tomorrow?! You can't. We'll make a plan and–"
    "It's done, Lavena." Alarik sighs.
    "But why?!" I yell, "There were other opetions, we can still–"
    "We CAN'T!" Alarik bellows, his words shaking the rafters. But it isn't angeer I hear in his voice... it's pain.
    "I can't risk your life. Not for my mistakes." His whol body shakes, his fists clenched, "She would have had you tortured, Lavena. To the brink of death, again and again. Your fate would have been just as gruesome if they found your mark." He steps toward me. His hand slides up my neck, drawing me into him.
    "This is the only way I can keep you safe. Can't you understand that?" His eyes burn into mine with all the heat I felt when he kissed me.
    "Please, Lavena." His mouth is so cloe to mine again, his lips brush against mine with carnal heat.
    "Tell me you understand." He begs.
    "I understand, but I don't–" BOOM. A series of bomb-like blasts echo from the window.
    "Is that thunder?" I gasp.
    "No." Alarik walks to the window, his face illuminated by bursts of orange light.
    "It's an announcement."

    I look out. Dragons fill the air, sending huge blasts of flame into the air.
    "They're telling everyone that I've chosen my bride." Alarik's eyes narrow. Applause and bells ring out far below.
    "So, that's it. It's done." I mutter. Alarik nods frimly. He pulls a leather-clad outfit form his dresser and hands it to me.
    "Here. Put these on." He says.
    "For the wedding?" I ask. He shakes his head.
    "For a long flight. The wedding will be three days long and will be held at the Old Palace." I take the clothes and pull them on with my back turned.
    "What is the Old Palace?" I ask when I'm finished.
    "The palace where dragons first appeared. Out of a rip in the sky." He explains, "It's all ruins now, but is still considered our most sacred land." Alarik threads my thin golden collar through his fingers. I know it has to go back on. His eyes meet mine sadly and I pull my hair up to expose my neck, and he comes close.
    "You now I don't want to, but I have to." He sighs. The first light of dawn peeks over the mountains as Alarik pulls my collar back on. His fingers linger on my neck.
    "You need to be very careful when we leave. Far more careful than you've been here."
    "Why?" I ask.
    "Because the dragons that live at the Old Palace treat humans... differently." He sighs, "Compared to them... Xander was kind." My eyes widen in shock.
    "That can't be possible." He nods sadly.
    "It is. These dragons treat humans like actual beasts. You cannot be discovered by them. Under any circumstances." Alarik's words make me tremble. I nod, but that's all I'm able to do.