Chapter 27

The night after Elena told Bonnie and Caroline and the Salvatores everything she knew about Esther's plan, she was in her bedroom, pacing, as guilt weighed heavily in her heart. She sighed and took a seat on her bed, thinking of everything was going on and would happen. Of everything she was partially responsible for. If she had never gone upstairs to see Esther, if she had never gone to the ball, Hope and Elijah's lives wouldn't be in jeopardy. Rebekah's wouldn't. Esther needed her blood for the spell. Elena could have prevented this, and she wished she had.

She wished she had a way to contact Hope and tell her everything, but Bonnie had made it clear where she stood on the topic. Every time Hope tried to go to the Mikaelson's house, she backed out of it, even if she wasn't sure why. And Damon was hardly any help. Neither was Stefan. Not about this. Stefan was so determined to kill Klaus, he couldn't focus on anything else. It was the reason he had helped her at the ball. And Damon... What she had said to him was true in a way. His love for her was the problem when it came to things like this. She appreciated his love and certainly felt things she didn't allow herself to say out loud or even properly think. But right now, his love for her was a drive at protecting her from the Mikaelsons. So once the damage had already been done, once she did the spell, Damon would rather the Mikaelsons all die than to listen to her pleas to help keep Hope and Elijah and even Rebekah alive.

If she had Hope's phone number, she would call her directly. Try to warn her. She would apologize and tell her she would understand if Hope hated her for what she had done. For the role she had played in the spell being completed. However Hope felt about her after that, at least it would be worth it to keep them alive, and Klaus' daughter would be able to grow up and have her family. But Elena didn't have her number and she wasn't a witch. It seemed like there was only one thing to do. She grabbed her wallet and keys and quickly headed down the stairs, anxious to get this done. She only hoped she wasn't too late to be able to save Hope and the others. However, when she opened the front door at the bottom of the stairs, she froze in her place at the sight of the man on the other side of the door. The man she had been keeping things from, no matter how guilty it made her feel.

Elijah Mikaelson.

"Elijah" Elena breathed out in surprise as she looked at the Original vampire that always wore a suit. She had no idea what to say to him now that she was right here in front of him.

"Hello, Elena. May I have a word?" Elijah questioned as he looked at the doppelganger.

"Of course" Elena said, stepping to the side to let Elijah inside.

Jeremy was not home (because he went on a compelled trip to Denver to visit friends of the family) and Alaric was at his apartment, so Elena didn't need to be concerned about who was overhearing or who could interrupt. It wasn't as though Damon was eager to be around her after what she had said to him at the ball. As for Stefan, his only concern was making sure she didn't ruin this and stop the Mikaelsons from dying. Elijah stepped inside the Gilbert house, looking concerned. Elena hoped he had suspicions but also wasn't sure she would be able to break the news to him.

"I was wondering what it was that my mother spoke to you about at the ball" Elijah said, looking at Elena.

Elena opened her mouth, ready to tell him the truth. However, when she tried to get it out, she couldn't. It was like the words weren't able to come out of her. She wasn't sure why, but at the moment the why was not important. Instead, what came pouring out of her mouth was a lie. A lie that weighed heavily in her heart as she spoke it. "She just wanted to apologize for involving doppelgangers and thus me in the curse for Klaus and vampirism. She knows how much it has led to my involvement with your family."

"Are you sure she said nothing else?" he questioned doubtfully.

"I'm sure. She was very kind. I don't know what you think she could have told you or concerns you may have, but I assure you that you have nothing to worry about" The lie tasted bitter on her tongue, and it felt as though guilt was trying to drown her. But despite her feelings inside, it wasn't hard for her to get the words out. They came out naturally, and it seemed more difficult to stop them than let them roll off her tongue.