Chapter 31

After Hope woke up in transition, Klaus Mikaelson's gray skin started regaining the color as his veins became less visible. Finally, he gasped awake and immediately got up, using enhanced speed. He looked around in alert and realized he was still in his art room, his paintbrush on the ground, hardened paint on the bristles and splashed paint where it had landed.

Fear and anger washed over him, and he knocked over his canvas in frustration. His expression faltered a little at the sight of the fallen painting that depicted Hope since he wasn't sure he would see her again until she was born. His first thought of who could have caused this was Stefan as he headed out of his art room, more determined to find answers about what had caused him to desiccate than worrying about his artwork.  Except Stefan didn't have a way to desiccate Klaus that quickly unless a spell was involved. When the feeling had started inside of him, the hybrid had felt as though he was dying. While the Bennett witch had tried to kill him before and could desiccate him, he wasn't sure she would be able to unless she was close to him.

Someone was plotting against him. And whoever it was would have hell to pay for it.

When Klaus reached the foot of the stairs, he saw Elijah come inside the house, covered in dirt. He did not look happy at all. "What happened to you?" Klaus questioned incredulously, momentarily distracted by his current problems at the state of his favorite brother.

"I was at Elena Gilbert's house. Something went wrong, and it felt as though I was dying. And then I needed to dig myself out of my own grave." Elijah explained as he looked at the hybrid.

"Elena Gilbert's house?" Klaus questioned, frowning, suddenly wondering if perhaps she was the culprit behind what happened. But then another thought came to mind. "I felt as though I was dying as well. Whatever happened to you, it happened to me too"

"And me three" a very familiar voice said from across the room. Rebekah had just walked in through the backdoor. She plucked a piece of grass out of her hair and dropped it on the ground, not caring about grass being inside the house when her brother was already dirtying the house, covered in soil. "I was out feeding on a local. trying to sort out some thoughts, and suddenly I was desiccating. It was almost as though you had daggered me again, Niklaus. A feeling we are all too familiar with" She scowled, taking advantage of the opportunity to show how unhappy with Klaus she currently was. "Except instead of being daggered, it was death."

"And yet here we are" Elijah said thoughtfully. "Which brings about the questions of who caused what happened, if it happened to Kol and Finn as well, and how we are alive"

Klaus looked around, listening for anyone else. The entire mansion was empty beyond the three of them. The same three Mikaelsons that had made the promises of Always and Forever a thousand years before. The same three that spent time together more than the rest of the Mikaelsons with Klaus, though perhaps that was due to Klaus' continuous decisions to dagger his younger brother for long periods of time and keep his eldest brother daggered in a box for a very long time. At the thought of his eldest brother, Klaus spoke again,  "Where are Mother and Finn?"  Kol, Klaus expected, was off enjoying himself when he temporarily died, but his mother and the brother who he knew truly hated him were his concern. 

"I'm not sure. They left earlier, while you were painting. I didn't ask what they were doing" Rebekah said.

Elijah was silent for a moment. They all were. But when the eldest of the three spoke again, his expression was concerned. "Elena Gilbert was hiding something from me in regards to the conversation we were having about if mother was up to anything. She wanted to speak to the doppelganger alone, and Elena wasn't very convincing when she told me that everything was alright."

"You think mother did this?" Rebekah questioned, looking at Elijah with a small frown, not really wanting to believe the mother that turned them so many years ago to protect them would want to kill them.