Chapter 2: The offer

Chhaya made her way through the hallway to the sitting area that she had been directed to. She saw five other people around her age sitting there, she sheepishly smiled at them before taking a seat next to a boy. She tried to start a general conversation with him but he just straight out shushed her. 

She watched each of the other applicants be called, walking in nervous and walking out completely disheartened. Chhaya was the last one to be interviewed, a lady in her mid-forties walked out and called for Chhaya. She stood up and fixed her formal pants and blouse before following the lady. "Please be seated here, sir has gone for a quick break and will be back shortly. Do not touch anything okay?"

Chhaya nodded her head before gently placing her file on the table. She looked around the grand office whilst trying her best to sit still in one place. After a few minutes, the door unlocked causing Chhaya to stand up and look back. And the sight in front of her caused her eyes to widen and her mouth to hand open. Right in front of her eyes was the man she had bumped into twice today. She swallowed hard as the man looked her way, walked past her and sat down on his chair. The chair in front of her, the one where one of the Singhania's were going to be sitting to take her interview. 

Her gaze followed him during the process as she held her breath. After sitting down, Rohan looked up at the woman he was coming face to face with for the third time today. He raises his eyebrows and gestures for her to sit, and she does. 

"Hi, sir! I had no idea that you- I mean, you're the CEO?"

"Yes, that is why I am here, Ms Chhaya Mehta."

Chhaya shrunk into her seat, aaj toh paak gayi, pagal ladki thodi research krni chahiye thi na! You bumped into the CEO twice today! Agar pata hota toh pehle hi aacha impression deti. Bewakoof ladki.

"Ms Mehta."

Chhaya snaps out of her daze and looks up, "Yes sir?"
"Do I have your full attention now?"

Chhaya gulped and nodded her head. "Words."
"Yes sir."

"Right, so as I was saying I've looked over your resume, which includes your past jobs, experience, and qualifications. I can see that your qualifications match the job you are applying for, which is in the finance department. However, you have no experience in this field prior and the past jobs you have listed are not linked to this post."

Chhaya sits up straight before answering, "well, sir I've just graduated, hence the lack of experience in this field. But the types of skills you would need to work in the finance department I have. I have gained those through my education as well as working in jobs that may be deemed unrelated. For example, the skill of collaboration and teamwork. I have gained enough experience with that skill working at cafes. Or the skill of communication, the most basic skill needed in retail or customer service is being able to communicate with not only my peers but also customers. "

Rohan nods his head, impressed by her convincing. "I understand that Ms Chhaya, however, the job description mentions having at least 5 years of experience working in a finance department of business. Therefore I do not think I will be able to give you this job. Howev-"

"But sir, if we don't get an opportunity to begin then how will be able to get the experience? Companies like yours cannot expect us to magically bring experience when companies like yours don't even give us the first chance!" Chhaya was up on her feet, her voice raised and finger pointed in the direction of the man across from her.

"Ms Mehta! I will not allow you to come into my office and talk to m in that manner! I have an offer for you if you let me finish. If you want to know, take a seat, if not you may pick up your file and leave!"

Chhaya's anger slowly dissolved at the words of Rohan. "Offer?"

"Yes, now sit down will you?"
"Yes sir." She mumbled taking a seat. 

"Another post is open in the company and based on your resume, I think it would fit you best."

"What is it?"

"Assistant. My personal assistant. I work hand-in-hand with the finance department, so you'll get plenty of exposure to the department, and maybe down the track, you might the job you came here for. So what do you say?"
"I'll take it." Hearing this Rohan raised his eyebrows and looked up from Chhaya's file.

"You don't have any questions? About your expectations or salary? What if you're not happy with it?"

Chhaya got flustered before gently shaking her head, "sorry sir, I really need this job. So I didn't ask. I trust you so I don't need to ask."

Rohan nods his head, before opening his desktop so he could get all the paperwork ready. "I'm going to get your paperwork ready, so we can sign the contract today and you can begin tomorrow. Are there any questions?"

Chhaya thought over what she wanted to ask, she took a deep breath and just went straight for the hit. "Would it be possible if I could get my first salary in advance? I'm in really bad need of money and I would just really appreciate it if that could be possible. Only this one, after that I will never ask again."

Rohan looked at her, his fist clenched. He knew that not everyone was the same, but he just couldn't help but think back about Priya. The way her voice was just as desperate when she took him to her home and talked about getting married. He got flashbacks of her admitting to never loving him and only being with him for money the day she was arrested. 
"No. I cannot do that. You will be paid for the work you have done, not the work you are yet to begin. If that is all, I will let you go, Ms Mehta. The receptionist outside will give you all your paperwork that needs to be signed as well as your job description. I expect you here in my office at 9 am tomorrow morning."

Chhaya tried once again, "Sir please, I have to pay my rent by the end of the week and I don't-"

"I said no! We don't do charity here at Singhania Enterprises."

Chhaya was taken aback by the sudden outburst, she didn't like what he had just said. But since she was in need of this job she didn't want to create a scene. As soon as Chhaya leaves, Rohan slumps back into his chair. He closes his eyes to rest a little, but the moments he shared with Priya when they were dating flashed through his mind. He loved her so much and all he got in return was betrayal. 

He knew that maybe Chhaya wasn't like that, that she was asking for an advance for the work she would have done, but his insecurities from the past and the walls that he has built around himself got in the way of him being rational. 

Here is another update guys! 

What did you think of the interview?

What did you think of Rohan's behaviour?

Will Priya's betrayal always linger when he is making decisions?

What do you think of Chhaya so far?

Do you think she will deal with Rohan for too long?

Let me know what you think!

Please remember to vote, comment and share!

Love you guys!