5. Mermaid's Kisses

ZARA 

Sunlight filtered through the window, casting a warm glow that illuminated the room as I stirred awake, a shiver coursing through me. The unfamiliar surroundings jolted me back to reality, and my heart pounded wildly as I tried to piece together the events of the night before. Cold sweat broke out on my skin, and I wished I could just forget everything that had happened.

I scanned the room, searching for any sign of Blaze, but he was nowhere to be found. The disappointment I felt settled in like an ache deep in my chest. He had abandoned me at the first opportunity he had.

Anger and frustration began to build within me as I slumped back against the headboard, furious with myself for letting my guard down and falling for his charms, foolishly trusting that he wouldn't betray me. But more pressing problems occupied my mind—I had to flee before the Council came after me.

Just as I was about to make my move, a chill ran down my spine as the door creaked open. Did he give me up already? Or is he here to take me away, after all?

I watched as his silhouette filled the doorway before he sauntered in with a cocky grin on his face, two bags in hand. Fury rushed through my veins, but I kept it hidden beneath a cool exterior—determined to win whatever game he had planned.

"Sorry I took so long," he drawled, placing the bags on the bed.

My fingers curled into fists as I glared at Blaze, my suspicion rising to the surface. "Where have you been?"

"Just grabbing us some breakfast," he replied casually, his expression calm and collected, but something in his gaze gave away that there was more than he was telling me.

As soon as I opened the bags, my eyes widened in surprise. One had some takeaway food, while the other one was full of new clothes and toiletries, even some accessories. I was immediately drawn to a black leather jacket, jeans, a white t-shirt and a pair of black sunglasses that were practically calling out to my name. Practical and with a certain stylishness that I liked.

I looked up at Blaze, my anger instantly melting away as I realised he was telling the truth.

"Oh wow," I muttered softly, taken aback by his generosity. "You didn't have to do all this."

"I figured you needed to eat, and you probably don't want to spend days in the same clothes," he said with a shrug.

Touché. He had a point there.

Still, the kindness and thoughtfulness he had shown me made me feel warm inside, though the guilt that bubbled up was an unwelcome reminder of my earlier misjudgment. I couldn't help but be ashamed at how quickly I had judged him. 

Did my preconceived notions about him cloud my judgement?

"How did you guess my size?" I asked, locking eyes with him.

"Let's just say I've had my fair share of ladies." A smirk played at his lips.

I felt the flush creep up my neck—I had dated plenty of guys before I ended up in Starfall, but no doubt his experience far surpassed mine. Still, there was something undeniably powerful about Blaze's confidence, a magnetism that drew me in despite myself.

"You certainly have your way with women." I countered, refusing to back down. The smile on his face gave away that he enjoyed the banter between us. "So, what did you get for breakfast?"

Carefully, Blaze dragged a small table closer to the bed and spread out the breakfast selection in front of him, a displeased frown creasing his brow.

"I was hoping to get a Golden Sunrise aurorian folds or some breakfast Astro wraps with flame sausage... but no such luck here at Sky's Edge. Guess we're stuck with the avocado Astro loop with poached eggs, and some Mermaid's Kisses stellarmuffs." He wrinkled his nose in distaste.