7. First impressions can be misleading

ZARA

"Let me show you to your room," Blaze offered, taking the little luggage I had from the bike.

As we ascended the grand staircase that wound through the heart of the lodge, I marvelled at the intricate design, my eyes darting between floors, absorbing every detail. When we reached the top floor, I saw only a single door, hiding whatever lay beyond its threshold.

"Is this the guest floor?" I asked, curious about the lodge's grandeur.

Blaze chuckled as he pushed open the heavy door with ease. "Not quite. These are my personal quarters."

"Wait, are we sharing a room again?" My brows furrowed as I gave him a questioning look. "Blaze?"

He flashed me his signature smile and replied, "Don't worry. I have a guest room here."

As I crossed the threshold into Blaze's private sanctuary, I was immediately captivated by its blend of rustic charm and worldly sophistication. Wooden beams crisscrossed the ceiling, and walls were adorned with tapestries and paintings that narrated tales of distant lands. Bookshelves brimming with volumes and trinkets from his travels lined one wall, while a comfy seating area by the fireplace beckoned for quiet contemplation.

My curiosity piqued as I tiptoed further into the space, eager to uncover the intricacies of his character. I found myself revising my earlier assumptions about Blaze because there was clearly more to him than met the eye. Beneath the exterior was someone with unexpected depth, contradicting the smug, playful behaviour from our first meeting.

"Wow, I never expected this," I admitted, my gaze roaming around the room.

His eyes sparkled with amusement. "What, you didn't think that I read, Dimples? I know; I'm full of surprises."

Well done, Zarayou were so off base about him.

"I just pegged you as more of an outdoorsman," I replied with a smile, trying not to dig myself into a hole.

He simply smiled and gestured towards the bow and arrow mounted on the wall. "I do relish spending time outside; especially here in Adventure Acre. We are big on archery and competitions."

Of course they were—this was Sagittarius' domain, after all. The lodge itself was a testament to their love for nature and the hunt, with vast landscapes surrounding it and a training ground for their renowned archers.

"Who would have guessed," I laughed, wandering around the room. My attention was drawn to a stringed instrument in one corner. Its neck and deep, round back enclosed a hollow cavity. "What's this?" I asked, running a finger along its shiny polished surface.

"It's a lute," Blaze explained, his voice tinged with nostalgia as he picked it up. "A musical instrument from my home. My father taught me how to play it."

"You're not from here?"

He shook his head. "No, my family is from another realm. I came here when I was chosen to become the next Zodiac, so I could learn from my predecessor."

"How old were you?"

"Seventeen."

A wave of empathy washed over me. "That must've been hard, leaving your family behind at such a young age."

He exhaled softly, his eyes momentarily distant. "I didn't have a choice. When a current Zodiac nears the end of their life or decides to relinquish their role, the celestial forces search for a successor. They seek individuals who possess certain qualities and have a strong connection to the elemental magic of their sign. Once found, they're brought here to Starfall to learn how to control their powers and fulfil their duties."