14. Hidden desires 🌶️🌶️🌶️

BLAZE

The roar of the motorcycle's engine did little to drown my tumultuous thoughts. Miles of rough terrain stretched before us as we neared the end of Leo's domain, the landscape shifting to reflect Xander's darker lands on the other side of the borders. Gnarled oaks and cypress trees dotted the road, casting across it.

My jaw clenched, knuckles white from how hard I gripped the handlebars of my bike. Zara sat behind me, our bodies pressed, yet tension still hung between us after last night's argument. I never should have lost my cool, but seeing that stranger's hands on her provoked a possessive urge to keep her safe.

Truth be told, I wanted her too. Badly. But I wasn't about to admit that. Admitting it meant I cared, and I couldn't afford that.

Pursuing her would only end in tragedy. The Council forbade that kind of relationships between Zodiacs and humans. And while I cared little for what they approved or not, she wasn't the kind of girl to be someone's dirty secret or to settle for only being my lover.  Nor wouldn't I want that—I would have wanted her by my side, with everyone knowing she was mine in every sense.

Forget it, Blaze. This will only end badly. I shifted gears, the vibrations rumbling up my spine as we accelerated down the winding road.

Yet my logic stood no chance against the attraction that pulled us together. Being near her was as natural as breathing, impossible to resist.

"We should reach Xander's territory soon," I said, breaking the uneasy silence.

"Just focus on the road," Zara replied, her tone brooking no argument.

I exhaled, swallowing back my frustration. Clearly, she was still upset, and I likely made it worse this morning, but I had no idea what to do. She threw me off my game in every single sense. Everything she stirred in me was so strong that I couldn't wrap my head around it, let alone know how to handle it.

Maybe it's for the best if she hates me. Then I might stand a chance at keeping my distance. We already had too many close encounters as it was, I knew that, and still, even that logic felt hollow.

I scanned the horizon, desperate for a distraction. Dark clouds were rolling in fast from the west, just before fat raindrops suddenly splattered against my visor. I frowned, peering up at the ominous sky. 

Where did this come from? Only minutes ago, the sun had been shining brightly overhead. Now angry clouds blotted out the light as icy rain pelted us.

Within minutes, the downpour strengthened into a thunderstorm, forcing me to pull over. The road ahead disappeared behind blinding sheets that turned to snow. What was going on?

"We need shelter!" I shouted over the strengthening winds, spotting a small cabin nestled among the trees. "There!" Veering off the main road, I navigated the increasingly thick snow towards it.

As soon as we pulled up, Zara scrambled off the bike, racing towards the shelter. I followed quickly, our footsteps muffled by the deepening snow. Luckily, it was unlocked, so we hurried to get in.

Safely inside, I secured the door against the wind, removing my leather jacket and helmet. Dust coated every surface—the place hadn't been used in a long time. A few pieces of furniture lay shrouded under sheets, with an old rug in front of a fireplace. It wasn't ideal, but it would shield us from the worst of the freak blizzard.

We didn't have any choice, anyway. I did need to look to know it was getting worse. The howling wind and icy blasts against the cabin were enough to tell me that we were in for a long night. 

Trapped in here. Together. Alone.

My pulse spiked at the thought.

"Let me clear the air." Zara waved her hand, a gentle wind sweeping the dust away.