r e a l i t y

"millie, i'm not cheating." draco argued.

"then why would you say she looks great? why would you reassure her?" millie yelled from the other line.

"millie, i'm not fighting with you right now. i'm trying to have a good time with my friends—"

"and a good time with your girlfriend?" millie finished for him.

"for fucks sake, she's not my girlfriend and i'm
not cheating!" draco sighed.

"do you think we should break up?" millie whispered into the phone.

"i don't want to break up, millie. i love you and you know this." draco said.

draco looked up from the phone to see blaise shaking his head and throwing his hands up in the air silently.

"how about i come to london? when the girls go on their trip. we can have some millie and draco time." millie suggested.

draco smiled. "that sounds nice."

"good. love you drakie."

"love you too millie."

draco hung up.

"why the fuck wouldn't you break up with her?" blaise immediately said.

"i love her, blaise." draco said angrily.

"look, i support you, but i don't support your relationship with millie. she's toxic, and she continues to pick arguments over the smallest things. you knew she was going to say something about you commenting that on hermione's post." blaise argued.

"it's over, blaise. i'm not talking about this anymore."

"yes, you are. draco, ever since you got into a relationship with millie, you haven't been better. you've gotten thinner, paler, and you refuse to eat three meals a day. why can't you see that she's not only mentally hurting you, but physically hurting you?"

"she's not hitting me, blaise." draco said, sitting on the hotel bed.

"she might not be hitting you, but that doesn't mean she isn't physically draining you, draco. i care about you, and i want you to see what i see. please, leave her." blaise begged. he's been watching his friend slowly succumb to the toxic mess millie was. he couldn't stay silent anymore.

"blaise, i'm not breaking up with her. get over it."

blaise sighed and walked out of the room, slamming the door.

draco watched the door for a few seconds, before getting up to go to the bathroom.

he looked in the mirror. despite the fact that he wanted to disagree with blaise, he was right. he was pale, skinny, and he hasn't eaten three meals a day in two years.

***

hermione heard a knock on the hotel door and opened it. "blaise?"

"sorry to bother you, mione. i just can't handle draco right now."

"here, come sit down." hermione motioned for him to sit next to her on the bed.

"where's gin?" blaise asked.

"she's hanging out with daph and tori. i wanted some quiet time to read, so i left."

"sorry to interrupt your quiet time." blaise said guiltily.

"it's alright. i gave up reading a couple minutes ago." hermione said with a small smile. "what's going on?"

blaise sighed. "draco being draco. refusing to see how toxic millie is."

"oh, i'm sorry. blaise, you shouldn't feel guilty for not being able to save him. you're doing the best you possibly can just to look out for him." hermione replied.

"thanks, mione." blaise sighed.

"do you need anything?" hermione asked, concerned for blaise.

"a hug will do." blaise said.

hermione laughed and wrapped her arms around the boy. "thanks for coming to me, blaise. rather than doing something stupid."

blaise laughed and pulled away from her. "i love my life a bit too much to leave it."

hermione smiled. "good."