Chapter two, the pit.

The next day, Emmy woke up to someone shaking her. Groaning, Emmy slowly blinked her eyes open— only to be met by another pair close to her face and sticking it's tongue out.

"Paige!" Emmy smiled as she recognized her friend and laughed at her face.

"Come on, we gotta get up," Paige said as she got off of Emmy and exited the tent. "We're running late for the game"

In fact they were. Blake had been the first one up at 2:30 and cursed at how late they were. If they had any hopes of getting tickets to the game they'd have to leave pronto.

So, Emmy quickly shimmied out of her tank top and shorts and into a short pastel purple sundress that had an open back hidden by two bows along with her light brown cowgirl boots and a neutral white headband into her hair. As she got changed, she could hear Dalton asking the people around if they saw his camera anywhere. Remembering the events of last night, Emmy wouldn't be surprised if someone (one of the boys that were embarrassingly featured on it) threw it into the woods so it couldn't ever be held against them.

When Emmy stepped out of her tent, she joined Paige and Carly in their conversation as the three packed the tents up.

"So, did you and Wade talk more?" Emmy asked Carly. Though she and Paige had offered to move to the city with her for the summer, they knew Carly would prefer if Wade would go with her.

"We're just in different places right now," Carly sighed, "He hasn't guilt tripped me for going so I can't guilt trip him for staying"

"Maybe you're both just thinking the other will change their mind," Emmy offered, willing to drop the subject if Carly didn't respond. But she didn't have to decided whether to press on more as Paige interrupted her thoughts, gagging at a smell.

It was horrible. Emmy could hardly breathe. It smelled like a giant pile of cat wet food mixed in with the scent of the rotten food her 5th grade science class had kept in plastic wrap in the classroom to observe how mold grows.

"I think it's coming from over there" Someone said. Emmy wasn't sure. All she could focus on was trying not to breathe. But she did focus enough to follow Carly in her quest to find where the smell was coming from, Paige begrudgingly coming along, though at a much slower pace.

As Carly and Emmy ventured further into the woods, the smell only got worse. Good, Emmy thought, We're getting closer.

Suddenly Carly dropped from Emmy's sight as she slipped and fell down into a pit.

Gasping, Emmy raced to get her, careful not to fall in the pit herself.

"Carly! Are you okay?" Emmy called down to her best friend, finally noticing what Carly had fallen in to. It was a giant pit. A giant pit of dead animals. This made Emmy scream, "OH MY GOD!".

"EM!" Carly yelled frantically, "EM I'M STUCK! HELP! HELP EM, WADE! WADE! PLASE GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

Desperate to save Carly, Emmy did her best to reach her hand down to get the girl, but she was too far down. Emmy would have to climb down. It was now that Paige, who raced to the two at Carly's screams, had arrived and almost fallen down herself but Emmy stuck her hand out to stop her.

And then Emmy was off, slowly trying to maneuver down the small but rugged cliff to reach Carly. In the background, Emmy heard the guys getting closer to them as Paige and Carly kept shouting for help.

Eventually, Emmy safely reached the pit and cringed as she walked along the squishy dread animals before reaching Carly and trying to pull her out. But she couldn't.

Carly was quite literally stuck. On what? Emmy didn't know, but she had a sneaking suspicion Carly was caught... in something. But Emmy kept trying, and yet to no avail she couldn't save her friend.