1. Emelita

Buttery taste melted along with the crisp inside her mouth as the redhead chewed in delight, another cookie readied on her palm, waiting for its turn to be devoured.

"You are bribing me, are you not?" Emel paused her chew, raising an eyebrow at her cousin, Muriel, whom was looking concernedly at her. The two relatives were out for a picnic in the Kravitz garden, and Lord Theissen had arrived with a various supply of sweets and pastries for her.

"I'm just glad that you're fine, I'll bring some more if you want." Assured the young lord, taking the chance to sip his freshly poured tea.

Emel had a rough guess why her cousin suddenly visited her, which was likely the truth after all. Only that she was in denial, a small part of her still hoped that a certain man had sent him over, in hopes of worrying about her.

But it was impossible. He was continents away from her, with his never-ending princely duties.

"My father is marrying me to Lord Eisenhart, see," She wiggled the bracelet on her wrist, adorned with sapphire stones, matching her eyes. "This arrived last night, by the way." Flaunted the girl, her feigned bright smile concealed the sadness within her eyes.

"It suits you, Mel. But you accepted the proposal? I thought..." Muriel trailed, his brows knotted in confusion.

The two shared a glance, faint rustling of the leaves and chirps from the birds filled in the stillness.

"I'll sort out my feelings with time. Tell his Highness that he doesn't have to worry, I wouldn't dare to torment the future crown princess." Emel chuckled soundlessly, although inside, she felt as if her heart was being gnawed into a hole. "I know my boundaries."

Muriel sighed, guilt flooding over him. "I'm sorry I was the one to deliver the message that night, I never get to properly apologise to you."

He could still remember the immediate hurt visible on her face when he arrived at their supposed meeting spot instead of Lionel, bearing the answer from the prince which would ultimately hurt her.

And he relayed it, swift and blunt. Rendered Emel in silence, not even tears could come out from her as she was left in a daze.

Fast forward to three months later, the tearless woman was now seated in from of him, calmly accepting the changes in her life although her past was weighing her down.

"Oh enough of that. He was indifferent to me almost all the time, the rejection was expected." she waved it off, although she remembered how he treated her sweetly before she decided to confess. It almost fooled her into thinking the prince had special feelings for her.

"So, since you are here..." Emel crafted a smile, slowly pulling out her thick wedding catalogue to drift out of the depressing topic. "Help your relative out, will you? I need a male opinion for the men section, your uncle and cousins are no help at all." she complained, referring to her father and brothers.

Muriel sighed, slumped over his chair. "I was wondering what in the enormous thing was that... you better not ask me about the colours!"

"I am starting with that actually, so this is for the table covers–"

"For god's sake..."