Side Story 2: Part 1

'The part where he realised that she had found greater love, just not with him.'

"Haven't I told you, the policies you proposed earlier is not sensible, Lord Rowland?" Scolded the prince, his eyes narrowing at the minister. "Start the funding negotiations for the budget before you proceed to the parliamentary."

"Yes, your Highness." Minister Rowland bowed deeply.

"You're dismissed." Lionel curtly said, his face still contorted in disapproval. As soon as the minister left, the prince's secretary walked in sighing.

"It's still the start of his term, your Highness. A little bit of niceties would suffice." Advised the secretary, slowly piling up the prince's workload.

The prince glared at him. "That was my last bit of niceties, Wellington." he muttered, picking up the file that was just brought to him. "Southwestern conflict has been resolved?"

"Yes, the good news I was going to convey today. Lord Theissen shall elaborate on it today, if you'd like to, your Highness."

Lionel nodded. "Excellent, just let him in when he arrives."

"He is already here,"

The young lord strode in and bowed to the prince. "Welcome back, your Highness Prince Lionel. I heard everything went well in the Luech as well,"

"It did, I'll be presenting on the morrow. Be sure to attend." Commanded the prince, pleased with his achievement. "Now on the southwestern conflict, speak."

"As I've mentioned in the report, the monk was a mole from the Cayen operation, lived and served in the temple for almost six years until he started spreading rumours of the temple's corruption and falsified evidences to the southwesterners. The temple was the pillar of the southwestern territory, meaning, once it's trust is demolished, Cayen will be occupying the territory."

The prince nodded. "Were the rumours spread during recent years or...?"

"Ah, Eisenhart mentioned that the monk initially spread the distrust among other priests and monks by 'accidentally' scribing a classified text, then it was gradually made public. The final blow was a donation from our former minister Lord Herbert - who was terminated for his infamous bribery case. So, I believe everything went into motion during the mole's first year of servitude."

"Impressive. Marks how incompetent the officials at the temple were. Proceed."

"The officials were dealt with, thanks to the Marquess of Valerie. So does the debunking of the bribery allegations. The marquess imprisoned the fake monk for the time as he awaits your return from abroad."

"Any correspondence with the Cayen general?"

"The marquess sent a missive to the Cayen for a meeting at the border, but no reply has been received."

"I'm assuming that the Eisenhart you speak of is the Marquess of Valerie?" Lionel asked, raising a brow.

"Correct, your Highness. He is actually my cousin's husband." Muriel said meaningfully, slightly testing the prince. "I shall introduce the two of you at the banquet tomorrow, your Highness."

"..Right."

***