2. Lionel [END]

'....as to what pertains at the southwest of the border, the High Priest is currently dealing with the case of a monk's misconduct and the uproar of the people is weakening the temple's influence.

That shall mark the end of this letter and we stand ready as your loyal subordinates to assist you in all matters.

Respectfully yours,
Muriel Theissen

(I have included a separate note at the back of this letter that I was asked to deliver along with this, forgive me for the rude intrusion, your Highness.)

Your Highness,

I believe you shall recognise my handwriting to guess who it is from, I hope I'm not overestimating your familiarity with me. Please do not scold your subordinate, Lord Theissen, I insisted that mine need to be included with his letter as I was afraid that you would ignore it if the sender was me.

It saddens me a little to write to you after awhile, as we are now estranged. But fret not, my prince, I'm not pleading you to give me a chance (like my previous letters) this time around. Of course, it is hard for me to recover from the rejection, however, I for once believe that I am responsible to relieve your Highness's burden of my affection towards you.

I have slowly accepted that you do not wish to accept my feelings and that it shall remain unrequited for the rest of my life. I am deeply grateful that you did not shun me for my ignorance and continued to tolerate my denial. I'd like to apologise for burdening you and I shall apologise again.

The purpose of this letter is to conclude my existing feelings, and to let your Highness be informed personally that I am to enter a married life at the start of March, two months away. It must appear rather hasty but I have to assure you it is not because of you, your Highness. I can indulge you more on this if we were to meet, so I merely hope that this letter arrives in time before the wedding.

If you have returned to the capital by then, then I would like to extend an invitation to the whole seventh Division troop, including your Highness as well.

Before I end this letter, I hope that the two of us can remain amicable in the future, however if you wish not to, then this shall be my very last letter penned to you.

Yours Truly,
Emelita Kravitz'

The sight of the prince reading the letters was reflected on the embellished mirror, smoke clouded over his face as he exhaled and stubbed his cigarette out.

"Wellington!" the prince called out, he glanced over the calendar, an unreadable expression settled on his face.

25th February 1463

His skinny secretary entered the chamber, bowing to the cross-legged prince. "Yes, your Highness?"

"I've a change of mind," Lionel took another look at the letter and harshly swept his fingers through his golden locks. "Postpone my return to the capital and assign the third Division to me."

"Pardon? But the negotiations are settled–"

"I'll be visiting our ambassador in the Luech, do send them a notice right away." he curtly instructed. "And bring my liquor box to my bedroom. You're dismissed."

The stunned secretary walked out, leaving Lionel alone in his office staring into the space blankly, the letter crumpled in a tight grip, his knuckles turning white. The exquisite Krillian jewellery he had bought for a certain someone seemed to stare back at him as a remorseful reminder.

And soon after, strained sobs erupted from the prince as he tilted his head, pulling on his hair roughly – regretful tears coursed down the side of his face.

All Lionel felt was the growing hollowness of his heart, mourning the loss of his loved person.

Even if he were to return to the capital, she'd be long married to another.

****