Side Story 2: Part 2

"It's fine, mother, Eisac will be there with me." Emel assured. "Carla and Ines will attend as well, you need not to come along. Just rest up, hm?"

"Tis' damned cold... Whatever shall I do if I never have the chance to see you and Eisac enter that banquet together," Clung the woman to her daughter-in-law.

"You won't die from a mere cold, Ma." Ines complained after silently watching the commotion her mother was making. "We still have the winter banquet, oh, the nearest one is the Solstice ball, I'd say it is very much like a royal banquet, the food proportions are ample."

The old woman's face grew upset. "Not their first banquet anymore..."

The door swung open, Ines's twin entered, her expression puzzled. "How come no one is ready for the banquet yet? Chop, chop! The carriages had been ready for the last two hours. Mother, unhand sister, I shall send you VERY intricate details of how sister-in-law and brother marches into the hall, now Ma, let me send you back to your chamber." Carla ordered, carefully wheeling her mother's wheelchair.

"Now you two, shoo, go get ready!"

"No, Emel!"

***

From far ahead, Lionel could spot a reddish styled hair, always with her two dark-haired companions whom he assumed were the Eisenhart twins.

She had been smiling in glee, laughing, and enthusiastic the entire banquet, just like her usual cheery self. Like how she was with him, previously.

Marquess Valerie were to arrive later, having to attend the urgent meeting Lionel had purposefully urged to be held earlier, just to avoid watching them entering together – even though he had no willpower to approach Emel first, given the chance.

Was she happy with the marquess? He heard that Lord Kravitz had arranged the marriage for her after meeting the marquess during a hunt, so it was not a marriage of her will.

He doubt that Emel was in love with the marquess, just months beforehand she was writing letters to him, pouring her heart out for him. But they ought to form a friendship at least, seeing how friendly Muriel was with the marquess.

Perhaps, he could send the marquess off to the barracks, given how skilled he appeared. It'd take him years before he could return, or worse, he could die there...

Then, Lionel could have Emel back. He'd grovel and plead her–

"Your Highness," a cold voice greeted him, it was Muriel. And he definitely saw where Lionel had been staring off to. "I simply wish that you do not covet others, especially after refusing them."

The prince froze, stunned over his malicious thoughts of ridding Emel's husband – when he was the one who had released her hand.

He had hurt her and had the audacity to grovel for forgiveness?

"Whatever you're thinking of doing," Muriel calmly stated, their attention now landed on a tall  handsome looking man entering the banquet, slowly making his way to his companion. "You've lost the chance to win her over."

Lionel watched the scene unfolding before his eyes, the affectionate eyes of the woman he coveted to the handsome man, as the two embraced each other like they've been separated for years.

"Oh my, the rumours are true it seems."

"The newlyweds are totally in love,"

The crowds were rejoicing over the two lovebirds, hushes and whispers of envy resonated all over the hall.

The prince turned his back against the view, all sorts of emotions disoriented him. Jealousy, greed, anger, and pain. He had been in denial ever since he read her letter.

She had found someone better than him.

"You're right, Theissen." Said the prince grimly, his world now a standstill, drowned in the depths of despair. "I could never."

And consumed by heartbreak.

– The End –

***

W/N: Hello people! This marks the end of this short story, hope everyone enjoyed it!

Oh and feel free to leave any constructive critism on my grammar (English is not my first language!) or my writing style, I'd love to improve myself as well.

I was actually thinking on making a spin-off for Emel and Eisac, since I actually love this couple. Eisac is a very gentle person and he is the perfect person for my Emel. I hope I can make this happens cuz I'm sick of toxic romance and I adore gentle & calm relationships these days.

Thanks for reading and hope you're looking forward to my next project!!