Prologue

Prologue

"No, no it's not time! She is not ready, to young, to young! Ma Jake, please," Neytiri sobbed, begged, as another round of pain shot through her body. She screamed, her tail swinging aggressively behind her as her hands wrapped protectively around her stomach.

"Neytiri," Jake spoke softly, his voice breaking. It hurt, so bad, to see his mate in so much pain, and it hurt even more knowing that she was right. It was too early. Their daughter was not expected to be born for weeks, months even. "I know it's too early," he continued, "I know, but—"

The sound of a cry — not Neytiri's — caught his attention. Jake quickly turned his head to where he found his 10 year old daughter, Kiri, standing frozen just a few feet away. Her eyes were blown wide as a fresh layer of tears flooded her eyes.

Jake acted fast, "Kiri, babygirl, I need you to go find your grandmother for me. Okay? Can you do that for me?" he spoke softly despite the current situation, locking eyes with his daughter.

Instead of a verbal response, she nodded her head. Kiri moved her eyes from her father to look at her mother, who was still crying in pain.

"Is...Is she coming?" she whispered, so quite that Jake almost didn't hear.

"Yeah, she is."

Kiri sucked in a breath, took one final look at her mother, and ran. The sound of her footsteps fading in the distance.

Jake let out a sign of relief knowing that Mo'at was coming. When she arrived, Neytiri would be able to get the help she needed, and their daughter, their unborn daughter, would have the best chance of survival.

It was only a matter of time.

Another heart wrenching scream echoed loudly throughout the forest. The sun had settled, and the air of the Pandora forest had become cooler.

"Jake, I can't, I can't—" her voice broke off as her eyelids closed, her body falling to the floor at a quick pace.

"Neytiri!" Jake didn't even think before he ran and caught Neytiri's limp body. "Shit!" he exclaimed.

He positioned Neytiri's body on the long, vibrant grass so that her head was cradled in Jake's lap. He moved her hair out of her face as he laid a soothing kiss on her forehead, and he waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Until finally, finally, he heard the sound of footsteps.

Jake looked up, and met the eyes of Mo'at. Not too far behind, stood Kiri. The same look of horror painted across her face.

"My daughter..." Mo'at uttered. Cleary at shock of the situation, not expecting so much, so soon. She has helped deliver all of Neytiri's babies. Neteyam, Lo'ak, and Tuk. Never once had one come early.

"Mo'at," Jake began, "Please, I beg you, save them both."

She sucked in a breath, and nodded.