02

CHAPTER TWO: She Has A Name.

Neytiri followed Jake at a slow pace through the crowd of their people, her tail swinging happily as the Na'vi made way for her and her newborn daughter.

Neytiri had hardly even looked up, her eyes locked on the little bundle of joy that laid wide awake in her arms, the baby resting her head on her mama's shoulder as she watched her siblings from behind.

Not too far behind walked Neteyam — who was carrying Tuk — Lo'ak and Kiri.

Earlier that evening, they had all come to an agreement on a name. Of course, Jake and Neytiri had the final say, but it was actually Neteyam who suggested it and they all fell in love instantly.

Kiri was about to do another funny face to her youngest sister, when suddenly—

"Ouch! Lo'ak, you dummy. You stepped on my foot," Kiri whined, slapping her younger brother in the chest.

"Why're you so close to me then?" he playfully replied.

"You're behind me, bro," Kiri shot Lo'ak a glare. Lo'ak was about to flip Kiri off, when suddenly Neteyam slapped him across the back of his head. Tuk let out a small laugh, shoving her face deeper into her eldest brothers neck.

Lo'ak pouted, crossing his arms over his chest as his tail flopped down along his legs. Lo'ak turned his head forward, where he watched as his mother carefully passed his baby sister to his father.

It was about to begin.

"Children," Neytiri called softly. She had adverted her gaze from her baby, and was now looking at them, "Come, come stand with me."

Neteyam placed Tuk down and grabbed her hand, walking over so he was standing beside his mother. Lo'ak and Kiri stood on the opposite side. They formed a circle, people from their tribe joining in.

The tribe began swaying their body's and singing their ritual as Jake steadily held up the baby into the air.

"Na'taya," he said. His eye's not leaving his daughter for a single second.

Neyetiri felt her eyes tear up as she watched the scene in front of her. Her baby, her child, being held up in the air. She let out a breath as a giant smile appeared on her face.

No matter how many times it happens, it never fails to bring tears to her eyes.

The baby, Na'taya, let out a cooing sound as she was held up in the air by her father, her small tail wagging back and forth.

"Na'taya," the Na'vi repeated.

_____

"Bro, where's Mom and Dad?" A frantic Lo'ak questioned.

Neteyam looked down from the tree branch he was perched on, raising an eyebrow.

"Why?" Neteyam asked, repositioning himself so he was more comfortable. He placed his hands behind his head as he laid flat on the long tree branch, his tail lazily flopping down beside him.

Lo'ak sighed in annoyance, pulling at his ears as he looked up to glare at his brother, "Why do you have to be so difficult? I'm serious bro, where are they?"

Neteyam's tail twitched hearing the tone his brother used; the urgency behind his voice.

"They're out riding ikrans," he answered. He sat himself up and dangled his feet along the edge of the branch, leaning back on his hands. He looked skeptically at Lo'ak, twisting his head to the side.

"What aren't you telling me, little brother?"

"Na'taya, she—" Lo'ak couldn't even finish explaining before Neteyam leaped out of the tree, landing on his two feet. He slowly walked so that he was standing right in front of Lo'ak, staring down at him.

"She what?"

"She crawled, all by herself too!" Lo'ak exclaimed. A giant grin making it's way onto his face.

Neteyam gaped, stepping back away from his brother and saying, "No way."

"Yes way! Tuk and Kiri are with her, but we wanted mom and dad to see it as soon as possible, you know?"

Neteyam hummed, only half paying attention. All of his siblings — minus Spider — had witnessed one of the many very important milestones in Na'taya's life, and he had not. He felt disappointed in himself.

Neteyam promised himself that he would not miss anymore, whether they were big or small.

"Well," Neteyam starts, "They left about two hours ago, so they should be back soon."

"Oh, alright. You want to come see her, bro? She's so cute."

Neteyam deadpanned, "Did you really just asked me that."

"Right, my bad," Lo'ak playfully rolled his eyes. He grabbed Neteyam's hand, and began running towards where their siblings were.

A few minutes of running through the forest, and Lo'ak and Neteyam arrived to their family's 'nest'. Kiri and Tuk were sitting, their laughter loud and audible as they watched Na'taya.

Kiri suddenly turned her head to face both Neteyam and Lo'ak, a look of surprise on her face until she realized that it's just them.

She turns back around so she's facing Na'taya, shifting her body so she is no longer covering Na'taya from Neteyam's and Lo'ak's view. Her voice is sweetly flowing as she elongates the vowel sounds, "'Taya, baby, look who's here."

Everyone watches as Na'taya reacts to the sound of her eldest sisters voice. She obviously didn't understand what Kiri said, but just the sound of her voice alone was enough to get her attention.

Na'taya babbled as she excitedly took in her surroundings, her tail swishing behind her. A toothless smile makes it's way onto her face as she spots Neteyam and Lo'ak standing a short distance away from her. She squealed, putting her hands and knees on the ground as she began to slowly crawl towards them.

Neteyam felt himself smile, watching his baby sister proudly. As she got closer, he bent down and spread out his arms. That only made Na'taya crawl faster, her little arms and legs moving quickly along the forest floor.

When she was within arm length, Neteyam swooped her up and held her gently to his chest, watching as she nuzzled up underneath his chin. Na'taya curled up into a little ball and brought a hand up to grasp at one of Neteyam's many braids, her eye's drooping as she looked up at him.

"Good job," he whispered to her in awe. He stood up as he felt the hand that was grasping onto his hair begin to loosen, as he watched with affection as Na'taya's eyes begin to close. Her ears twitched as her hand finally lost it's grip on Neteyam's hair, making it's way to rest on her stomach.

Neteyam looked up from his baby sister to see the rest of his siblings gazing at him. They smiled.

He smiled back.