04

CHAPTER FOUR: Go Home.

Na'taya glanced around her, taking in everything she's seen. She has never been in this part of the forest before.

She moved impossibly closer to Kiri and gave her hand a squeeze, keeping her gaze on the forest.

Kiri looked down, noticing that Na'taya looked a little frightened. She brought her arm and wrapped it around Na'taya's much smaller body.

"Lo'ak, we are never supposed to come here. How irresponsible do you have to be to bring a four and seven year old here?" Kiri nagged, "Dad is going to ground you."

"Shh, can you stop?"

"For life!" She whispers loudly.

"Bro, we have got to check this out. Let's go closer," Lo'ak spoke to Spider.

Na'taya and Tuk lock eyes from either side of Kiri.

"Kiri," Na'taya pulls on her arm, "I'm scared," she sniffles, keeping her voice just above a whisper.

Kiri bends down so that they are eye to eye, "I know, 'Taya. I'm sorry but we can't leave without them. I promise we will go back soon."

"It's okay, 'Taya. You just got to be brave!" Tuk giggles, "Besides, we have our older siblings here, we'll be okay."

Na'taya smiles in return, leaning into Kiri as she awaits for her brother's return.

"I'm calling this in," Lo'ak declares as he walks back towards the girls.

"Seriously, man. We're going to get in trouble." Spider pointed out.

"Spider, don't discourage him." Kiri narrowed her eyes at the boy, who in return gave a sly smile and shrugged.

"Just tryin' to save us from certain death."

"Don't be dramatic," Kiri scoffed playfully, tugging Na'taya ever so closer to her side. She glanced to her side and pulled Tuk in closer as well.

"Devil Dog. Devil Dog this is Eagle Eye. Over."

"Eagle Eye. Send your traffic," Jake responded instantly.

Na'taya indiscreetly perked up at the sound of her dad's voice, a familiar smile making its way onto her face.

"I got eyes on some guys," Lo'ak voiced as he continued to observe the group, he pondered, "They look like Avatars, but they're in full camo and carrying ARs, there's... six of them. Over."

Urgently, Jake responded, "What's your pos? Over."

Lo'ak paused, and felt everybody's eyes shift to him. Nervously he confessed, "Oh... We're at the old shack."

From the other line, the children heard their father let out a deep sigh.

Not a good sign.

Na'taya shifted so she was closer to Lo'ak, squeezing in between him and Spider so she could hear her dad better.

"Who's "we"?" Jake spoke calmly, but his voice held anger.