Chapter 13 - Sunset

A sweet smell attacks my nostrils the moment I step into the kitchen.

Sniffling, my eyes zero in on my second eldest brother's broad back, which is turned towards me. Josh is standing by the stove and is doing – something. I can't really see what he is occupied with, but the sweet aroma causes me to take a few cautious steps closer, hoping to satisfy my curiosity.

I am still a few feet away, about level with the kitchen island and in the process of walking past it, when Josh turns around, holding a big mug in each of his hands.

"Hey, sugar," he greets me, an almost invisible smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

"What's that?" I ask, although I think I know exactly what he's holding.

My brother lifts one of the mugs.

"I fancied some hot chocolate. Wanna join me?"

Warmth spreads through my body at the thoughtful gesture. If there is anything that my brothers know is a sure way to quickly lift my spirits, it is this sugary treat. Josh once told me that this is why his nickname for me is "sugar".

Apparently, I have had a sweet tooth ever since I was a baby. He claims that my reaction when I tasted chocolate for the first time was the funniest and cutest thing he had ever witnessed – and he has seen nine younger siblings go through this phase before me. Although I doubt that he consciously watched Sean's or maybe even Ben's reaction too closely, seeing as he was only a little boy himself when they were at that age.

My mouth is literally watering at the sight in front of me so I nod quickly. I haven't had any food all day and a growing hole in my stomach is starting to become noticeable.

"Are there marshmallows, too?" I want to know.

"I couldn't find any. Not where they usually are, anyway."

"You'll have to check the top cupboard, behind the fancy dishes that we only bring out at Christmas," I tell him and walk up to the counter underneath said cupboard.

I attempt to climb on it, as I have done a million times before, seeing as I obviously can't reach the top cupboards in our kitchen and I usually can't be bothered to grab a chair to help me get up there. However, Josh's voice stops me before I can successfully hoist myself up.

"Stop! What do you think you're doing?" he exclaims.

"Looking for marshmallows?" I sigh, shaking my head at his dumb question.

"Didn't we teach you kids not to climb on the counters?"

I turn back towards him and shrug.

Isn't that one of those rules that are just there because that's what responsible parents are supposed to teach their kids, but everybody ignores them?

When Josh doesn't say anything else, I continue on my mission and hop onto the counter, feeling kind of accomplished at how easily I manage. It is a clear sign that my knee is almost fully healed.

That's something that should make me very happy, but instead, it puts a real damper on my mood. The thought of my past injury instantly reminds me of Sam and how it is mainly his achievement that I am back to climbing counters without pain.

Feeling deflated all of a sudden, I slump on the granite countertop, dropping onto my butt with my feet dangling down the sides of the cabinets. Josh continues to watch me and when our eyes meet, I can tell from his expression that he has noticed my mood change.

"What's wrong, monkey?" he asks cautiously.

"Sam made me a hot chocolate the night before his race," I whisper as another memory hits my busy mind.