5| I want you

Xavier's POV

I felt complete and at peace in that moment, my arms wrapped around her, and she clung to my body as if it were the only support she had left.

The last three years have been hell for me. I felt so alone and incomplete without my mate. My father tried to get me to meet a lot of girls, but I couldn't find that sense of belonging with anyone. In all of them, the only face I could see was hers. She was in my head all the time.

But then I remembered the crime she committed in retaliation for my rejection. She made a mistake. If she hadn't done that, I might have given her another chance and thought about my decision again.

Looking at her innocent face and the way her heart is thumping in her chest, my inner instinct says she can't do something like this because she doesn't have deceitfulness in her heart, but we are often unable to see the true face of people, and just because she is my mate, I cannot deny the fact that she has gone against my pack and deserves the same punishment as I would have given to someone else at her place.

Her eyes were so deep that I just lost myself in them, but after a minute, she blinks, breaking my reverie and reminding me of why I came here.

"Where were you these three years?" I asked her in a low, deep, and authoritative tone.

I know she was scared because of how my man dragged her here and my intimidating personality, but it was her fault. She had to think twice before committing that crime.

"Study," she blinked twice, wiping away tears from the corners of her eyes, "I shifted to study outside."

"Lier" I squeezed her skin because I despise liars, and she is lying right now. She did not go there for studies; she fled after committing the crime.

A very important piece of information about our pack was leaked one month after the Mate Ball. When we looked for the truth, we saw the shadow of a girl fleeing with the files from my house, and what my man could figure out was that she was the same girl I had rejected on my birthday. My beta said she must have done it to exact her revenge for rejecting her and humiliating her in front of so many people. I wasn't ready to believe it and needed to hear it from her. But his words came true when I learned that she had escaped on the same night that the information was leaked. She didn't leave any room for doubt by running away.

As innocent as she seems, she is very clever and cunning.

"Do you know me?" I asked.

She slowly nodded her head. One of my brows raised, indicating she had to move ahead and tell me something about herself. She gulped deeply and blinked, as if preparing herself.

"Alpha King Xavier Wulfric," she took my full name with ease, and the way she pronounced Xavier gave me a strange sensation in my groin. The full moon was working its magic on my body.

"I am not asking about my name; I am asking; do you know what I do with the traitors?" I inquired further.

She again nodded, and I tilted my head, asking her to answer in words.

"Kill them inch by inch, burn them alive, or chop them into pieces."

"Hmm"

My arm, which was wrapped around her shoulder, moved up, and my fingers started playing with her open strands, curling them on my finger and leaving them for another second.

"What do you think is most suitable for you?" I asked, my eyes still on her hair strands.

"No! Alpha, I haven't done anything. I swear!" She cried, moving her head away, but I didn't let go of her hair.