𝐂𝐇𝐏 𝟐𝟐 - Heart to Heart

THIRD PERSON's POV

It was quiet in her room that night, the flicker of a candlelight flame was all that presented itself. Y/n sat slumped against the wall, her legs splayed out in front of her like a rag doll; her skin still stained and puffy, glossy. She was like a mere shadow lurking in the corner of the room, unsure, easily hidden, haunting.

She skipped dinner that night, her appetite plummeted but hunger still kicked at her stomach. She wondered how many days she could stay in the before people came looking for her, two, three, maybe four days? How many times would this have to happen before she could leave? Before she could finally be free of him after graduation. Graduation, in a few years she could leave and never turn back, hightail it out of that house; but what held her with deaths grip was her mother, her sister.

She had plenty of joyful memories, only one of which included him, she was just six years old, it was one of her first. One filled with laughter as her mother held her with thin arms, they swayed in the breeze as her father flew above them on his dusty cupboard broom, he sprinkled flower petals over the mother and daughter; a chorus that seemed everlong. When they were happy, when she was enough for him; for all of them. The flame danced around her memory as it replayed on the shivering wall, it's light gradually descended until all that was left was an imprint of the past, a reminder of what was. But that didn't matter anymore, none of it could ever be the same again. She couldn't feel the tears roll, numbness had seized her nerves and taken her captive. Every sound dulled to a whisper like they were gossiping, watching her. That was until a louder sound pulled her attention, a crisp one from the outside of her pity party.

"Who is it." Her voice was hushed but hoarse, raw and dry from its over use; she was quite proficient with the muffilo charm.

"Lorenzo."

His voice was refreshing from the stale hang of the air that surrounded her, a breeze in the desert at midnight. Although no matter how relieved she felt deep down that someone has come for her, that didn't dismiss her resentment for others when she was in such a state. Her tears subsided as her focus was moved towards the doorway, she could imagine him shifting from foot to foot as he awaited her reply.

"What do you want?" Her tone shifted slightly, a question pushed forward with more intent but still grasping at straws of distain.

"I wanted to check up on you, haven't seen you in a bit." Silence followed as her throat vibrated, opening and closing as her eyes lifted, a hum escaping her retracted airways. He didn't seem finished as he spoke slowly after her acknowledgment,

"I'm worried about you," Her face fell, the small ghost of a responsive smile dropped as her eyes followed, staring at her folded palms. "You're my friend and I care about you."

A twinge of guilt hit her chest, had she just abandoned her friends for two days without saying a word and skipping out on meals to avoid anyone and everyone just like that? She could feel the exhausted water build back in her waterbeds and how her nose was pulsing from being so swollen, she could feel all of that rushing back to her head, she was brought back to earth.

"Come in."

It was small, but he had heard her. Without having to push very much, the door to her room opened as commanded; no one could enter the room unless she allowed it. She could see him, how his fluffy brown hair bounced with every careful step, although she couldn't see his face very well but neither could he. Her eyes even when adjusted, failed to make out his eyes or his nose or his chin, all she could see was the outline of his body from the incoming light. She had tucked her legs into her chest, holding them closer to block the incoming humidity of the outside air. The door momentarily allowed Lorenzo to view her in the light, the glow highlighted every inch of darkness that laid under her eyes that contrasted so harshly with the sickly pale skin.