Chapter 3

The next morning, Marc woke up a little early before anyone else to check his email, get ready for the drive home, and just take off to work the next morning.  Making his way over to the coffee pot, the morning ritual began.  Whoever was the one who didn’t scoop the grounds into the machine typically woke up within a few minutes to the aroma of a fresh brew spreading in the cabin.  Marc sat down in the chair, clicked on his phone, and began checking emails for the trip.

As expected, about five minutes later his wife popped out the door and was soon followed by Carrie.  Being the first time he saw her roll out of bed, he still thought she was stunning.  As they were pouring their own mugs of the caffeinated goodness, Marc let out a huge sigh.  One of his emails read that he was going to be needed for most of the week and had to stay overnight a few extra days.  This new position and traveling was getting to him. The money was out of this world and he loved the job, but the countless nights in hotels these past few years were slowly draining.  When he accepted the position, it was with an understanding that he would get one final big promotion and then it would be easy street.

Marc’s wife sat down on the couch, “Ut oh, that doesn’t sound good.”

He delivered the news, “Yeah, now I have to stay until maybe Thursday or Friday now, this is such bullshit.” He was visibly upset as he walked outside to make a call to confirm the bad news.

“Well, looks like you’re staying up here a few more days huh?” Marc’s wife said.

Carrie blew some steam off her coffee, “Mmm, yeah well, I would love to, but I have so many appointments this week, the dentist, the gyno, and just some other stuff I have been putting off for months.”

By now the troops had slipped out of their sleeping bags and in a collective groan were upset that their week was coming to an end.

“Carrie, since they’ve been so awesome all together, I don’t mind if they stay up here until I come back home mid-week, you can hitch a ride with grumpy pants over there,” she thumbed over her shoulder through the window at Marc, his hands flailing around while talking on the cell phone.

There was quite the encouragement from the peanut gallery after that conversation.  After some more discussion back and forth, the ladies agreed and Carrie went into the back bedroom to pack.  Marc finally came back inside, it was official, another three days added to the trip.  He validated it to all by giving the cell phone a big middle finger.

“So, I am going to keep them all up here again until you get back, Carrie has stuff to do back home so she’ll ride with you,” his wife furrowed her brow jokingly, “and please, let her control the radio some time.”  It immediately dawned on Marc that he would now be spending three hours, alone in the car with Carrie.  Part of him excited at the thought, and partly terrified at what could transpire.

“Fine, she can get one song an hour,” he laughed, heading down the hall to his room to pack up for the ride.  He looked into Carrie’s bedroom from his own across the hall.  She had heard footsteps creak on the old wooden floor and perched the door open a little to peek out.  Once realizing it was just him, she opened the door a little more.  There she was standing, totally naked again.  Marc watched as she pulled up only a pair of shorts and tossed a ratty thin Red Hot Chili Peppers concert tee shirt over her bare torso and quietly whispered into his room, “This is going to be so much fun,” and closed the door, her eyes laser beamed towards his crotch.

There was no escaping anything now.  The car ride would be very interesting.  Marc gathered his clothes and phone charger from the bedroom, the toiletries from the bathroom, and set his bags next to Carrie’s near the front door.  After a few minutes of goodbyes and thank yous, Marc grabbed both sets of bags and walked them out to the trunk of the car.  He started the car, turned on the air conditioner to cool it off and made one last visit to the cabin, checking he got everything and one more goodbye to everyone.