17. Starting Fresh

I didn't really believe that it was over until I was in the airport, leaving the plane I had just flown on all the way back to America. I hadn't thought of how much it would hurt until I was at baggage claim and waited in a crowd of people that didn't know who I was nor cared. It stung.

            I felt numb almost. I wanted to be strong and independent and tell myself that I can do it, that I'll be okay, and that I didn't need forgiveness or anything from Zayn anymore. But I knew that was unrealistic, and realized it when I was driving away from the airport with my mom to go back home.

            "Sweetie, are you okay?" My mom asked me, her brow furrowing as she balanced examining me and driving at the same time. "Do you feel sick?"

            I feel heart broken. "I'm fine, just a bit under the weather I suppose."

            My mom pouted. "That stinks. Traveler's sickness, I bet – it runs in the family, did you know that? We've never been too good with traveling."

            I forced a smile. "I'll just take a nap when I get home."

            "Well, in the meantime, tell me everything about your trip. How many clothes did you get? I bet there's amazing shopping there."

            Somehow, I made it through the car ride without my mom thinking there was anything wrong besides 'traveler's sickness', whatever that even meant. When I got home, I greeted Jem, and then made my way up to my room. I just laid in bed for a while, uninterested by the fact that I was finally home.

            I was uninterested in anything that didn't have to do with Zayn. I guess I will get over it, but for right now, everything just hurt. It was like I was in a shocked mood even though I was well aware of everything that happened, everything he had said. I felt bland. If life could be one color, for me, it would be gray.

            A few hours passed before someone knocked on my door. I hoped it wasn't my mom trying to explore deeper into my trip details as I sat up and tried to recreate my mood into one more me. Luckily, my brother slipped in instead, looking at me sympathetically. He was the only one that knew what was wrong with me.

            He sat down next to me, and I sighed. "Are you going to keep acting like this forever? Because I can't make up excuses every time mom gets the silent treatment because you're dozing off into Lela land."

            I half smiled. "Don't worry, I'll get over it."

            "What happened after I left, Lela?" He asked.

            It was the golden question.

            I didn't know what more to say other than: "He told me he loved me, and I told him the truth. It wasn't exactly a walk in the park after that."

            I sighed again, because it was the only thing I really could do.

            "Hey, I know it sucks now," My wise brother told me, and I looked over at him. "And if he can't get over it, then that's his loss. But your life isn't going to go on hold because of some guy, is it? You did the right thing by telling him. The Lela I know isn't going to let herself mope around the rest of her life because some guy can't accept the truth. Is she?"

            I smiled weakly, feeling slowly rejuvenated from my brother. "No, she isn't!"

            He grinned, giving me a hug. "That's what I thought."