5- A business deal

"So it's a business deal" Claire says.

"Yes, clearly" I answer.

"What will you do? You certainly aren't thinking of..."

I sigh and reply, "Yes"

"What? But are you going to give up your life and dreams just to marry a stranger? We both know how you will never be happy with that!"

"What choice do I have!? My father has suffered great losses in his business and the only way to save him is this marriage! What do you suggest!? Abandon my parents at their worst times? I can't do that Claire...if I say no to their decision it will haunt me for my entire life" I reply.

"But Lisha what about you? What about your dreams? Are you sure they won't haunt you?"

I gulped a lump in my throat.

"I don't know...I just know that I can't do this anymore..."

Tears roll down my eyes.

Claire holds my hand, "Whatever it is, I will support you. But remember to think about it very well okay?"

"Hmm...got it. Thanks for everything Claire", I say.

"Anytime..."

3 days later...

"Hey Mom..."

"Hey Lisha are you able to walk now?"

"Yeah...I am."

"Good. You should come back home for now, Mr Leon will be throwing a party tomorrow, this will be a great chance for you to get closer to his son"

"Uh- but I..."

"I'll be looking forward to seeing you there"

*Call ends*

So she had called just to say that...?

I get more surprised everyday at her behaviour.

Marrying me to a stranger just to cover up their losses...

Will this really be the end of my life?

My life...

Ever since I was a student I have been running at full speed.

Straight As, good at sports, good at other activities...

I tried to be perfect at everything because of my parents.

I graduated from one of the top universities, at the top of my class and now I'm working a good job with a nice pay.

I moved to a new city, got my own apartment, was succeeding in my career and just when I thought I was finally free...

Getting married is the least of my wishes now...

I wanted to focus on my life and build my dreams now.

I even went as far as to tell my parents that I would be taking care of their debts but in order to do that I can't quit my job!

But they denied it, of course.

To them this marriage is not just a way of getting out of debt but an investment.

My dad wants to be future partners with the guy's family.

When I have never even met the guy!

Not just that...

My parents never allowed me to date as it would affect my grades.

Except when I was in middleschool, I secretly had a relationship.

But of course that didn't last...

My dad found out and forced us to break up. He even made me change schools and block his number.