SEVEN

‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣୧ - - ୨˚̣̣̣୧‿︵‿︵

Vaella found herself trapped in a conversation with Alicent that stretched on for hours. The queen's voice filled the air as she waxed poetic about the beauty and joys of pregnancy, painting a romanticized picture of motherhood. Vaella could feel her patience wearing thin, her mind drifting away from the tales of swollen bellies and blooming fertility.

Seated across from Vaella, Helaena remained silent, her countenance grave and her eyes filled with hidden knowledge. Whenever Alicent's musings brushed against giving birth, Helaena would interject with cryptic warnings to her niece, her words carrying an air of foreboding.

As the hours ticked by, dinner was called, and Vaella's spirits lifted as she saw the opportunity to escape the suffocating atmosphere of the room. She excused herself, citing the need for a breath of fresh air.

The sun dipped below the horizon, the grand dining hall of the Red Keep came alive with the flickering glow of countless candles. The long table was adorned with exquisite silverware, fine china, and an array of delectable dishes fit for a royal feast.

Vaella took a moment to compose herself before joining the rest of her family at the grand dining table. The room buzzed with animated conversations, laughter, and the clinking of silverware against porcelain. The flickering candlelight cast an ethereal glow, illuminating the faces of those gathered.

Aemond was already seated, his expression guarded as he conversed with his siblings. His eye briefly met Vaella's, but the tension between them remained palpable. She took her seat beside him.

The conversations around the table continued, a mixture of polite exchanges and lively banter, but Vaella couldn't keep her mind off of being called naive by Aemond. He was right; she was oblivious to everything around her.

Aemond's guarded demeanor only heightened her sense of unease. Each stolen glance between them felt like a battle of wills, a silent clash of conflicting emotions. She was caught off guard when he cut the silence between the two, "Princess, you've barely touched your meal."

Vaella put down her fork and looked to Aemond with an obviously fake smile, "Listening for hours about having children with you, made me lose my appetite."

"Hm," he said as he grabbed Vaella's chin, bringing her face closer to his, "Be a good girl and tell me the truth."

His touch and words caused heat to rise to her cheeks, "The truth?" She took his hand away from her chin and held it, ""The truth is that I tire of playing this naive princess, you say I am."

Aemond's grip tightened around Vaella's hand, his eyes narrowing as he studied her face. There was a mixture of surprise and curiosity in his gaze, her words had sparked a flicker of interest within him. "I can help you know the truth of things." He took his hand away from hers, "Expect me to visit your chambers at midnight."

"Very well," she replied, her voice steady despite the fluttering in her chest. "I will be waiting."

Aemond's lips curled into a sly smile, his eye alight with a newfound intensity. "Until then, princess."

As they resumed their places at the table, the air seemed charged with anticipation. The rest of the dinner passed in a blur, the conversations around them fading into background noise. Vaella's mind was consumed by thoughts of the forthcoming meeting, the mysteries that awaited her.