TWENTY THREE

‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣୧ - - ୨˚̣̣̣୧‿︵‿︵

As the weeks passed, Larys was resisting Mysaria's demands. While he was well aware of the unethical nature of the fighting rings, his primary concern lay with the steady flow of money to the guards who turned a blind eye to the fighting rings. He had no genuine regard for the welfare of the children involved; rather, he was determined to safeguard his financial interests and maintain control over Flea Bottom.

Mysaria does not care for the children either. This he knew. Her intentions were to seize control of the area, and he couldn't let her have it.

Because Larys refuses the help, he has continued to try to figure out Alys's motives himself. He had his spies trailing her every move, yet her activities were confined to the castle, she never sent anyone letters, and stopped her enchanting-like spell over Vaella. Instead, she stayed silent focusing on being a servant, and then spending long hours gazing into the flames. This mysterious behavior left Larys puzzled.

Since Larys had not produced any results on his mission, Alicent became furious. She grew increasingly paranoid, fearing for Vaella's life as her pregnancy continued.

Frustrated by Larys' inability to protect her daughter, Alicent decided to take matters into her own hands. There was no value in continuing to spy on Alys. Instead, she opted for a more direct approach - framing Alys and having her incarcerated. Alicent hoped that the prospect of imprisonment and the threat of a skilled torturer might finally extract the information she sought from Alys. It's that or Alys will die.

. °•★|•°∵ ∵°•|☆•° . *

The following morning, Alicent extended an invitation to both Aemond and Vaella, requesting their presence in the private chamber for morning tea with Viserys. This had become a recurring event, especially as Viserys' health continued to decline, and he found comfort in Vaella's company. His deteriorating eyesight often blurred the lines between past and present, causing him to see a striking resemblance to his beloved daughter, Rhaenyra, in Vaella's features.

Aemond and Vaella entered the chamber side by side, with his arm wrapped around her waist, supporting her delicate steps. Vaella's stomach had grown so heavy that she almost always needed Aemond's support, especially in the mornings when her steps felt the heaviest.

With a warm smile that carried respect and consideration for Viserys' fragile condition, Vaella greeted Alicent and Viserys, "Good morning." Her voice, soft and gentle, conveyed her sincerity and regard for her family.

Viserys managed a faint smile in response to Vaella's greeting, his eyes softening as he regarded her. It was indeed her presence that brought him some comfort in his ailing state.

Alicent, on the other hand, returned the greeting with a nod, though her distracted demeanor was apparent. Her attention wavered from Alys, who diligently followed the couple into the room, to the arrangement of tea cups before her. Unbeknownst to the others, she anxiously picked at the skin around her fingernails beneath the table.

As they settled at the table, Vaella decided to initiate a conversation. Her warm smile remained as she turned her attention to Alicent and Viserys. "The baby wouldn't stop kicking last night," she shared, a hint of amusement in her tone, her hand resting affectionately on her growing belly. "I could hardly get a good night's sleep."